overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (Asahi)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3766   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

mtdshn (173) - Moline, Illinois, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Bottle. Poured a clearish yellow with a good sized foamy head. Scents of hops, heavy malt character, some "old cellar" notes. Taste is pretty malty however there’s some skunky hops in there that come out on top. Finish is not pleasant, tasting of moldy hop.

GarrettB (1690) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 31, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 11, 2007 Pilsener Urquell is one of those things people love to defend. I would agree with those noble altruists that it is something like a fragile child in a world of more muscular, mature and intelligent beers. I simply disagree about nurturing its confidence back using self-defeating lies. It isn’t a pale lager, and has no business scratching desperately for mediocrity with that lot, but I don’t think it’s the paramount example of Pils primacy that particular members portray it as. My notes on the beer are brief, as was the time I had with it, but they are not complimentary. It was a clear and lucid beer (maybe more so than your averaged canned beer) with a frothy white head. This bubbly top had an entertaining way of weaving a nice webby pattern of lace down the glass as I finished it which helped dispel some of the prejudice I was holding against it. The smell was blander – a pretty simple base of mineral water with a strange component to it which I can only explain as giving the beer a “lurking” sense about it. Not necessarily evil lurking like Jack the Ripper lurking, just… like lurking to sneak into the kitchen and eat the last slice of chocolate cake kind of lurking. The taste seemed very fresh and dry but missing most of any flavor, opting to go in the other direction and actually taste bad. Maybe I was drunk by this time but my notes read “Tastes like polluted rain water filtered through crypts”. I don’t remember it being so offensive that I actually thought it tasted like damp necrotic flesh, just that it didn’t taste very good. Any slew of industrial elements put together with some kind of mold or dust would do the job just fine. I seriously wonder if my bottle was somehow tainted because the reviews seem to be a great deal more positive than I would have it. To its credit I’ve heard how important it is to drink Pilsener Urquell fresh which rarely happens, so for now I’ll relegate myself to having purchased an aged bottle and make a sincere effort to try it again when the opportunity arises.

TheEpeeist (3709) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 30, 2006
12 oz bottle. Pale yellow, active carb, fluffy white head. Sour lemon nose with a hint of Pine-Sol and skunk. Bready, bitter bite with what I can only describe as sour coconut milk. Sort of light; carb fades quickly. Clean finish with school paste.

LyndaNova (531) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 29, 2006
Cold 12oz bottle: Clear golden orange color with barely any bubbles. Aroma is of mild flowers and citrus. Fizzy on the tongue. Taste is moderately bitter with some sweet notes to it. Finishes well.

thomat (4208) - G�teborg, SWEDEN - AUG 28, 2006
A very nice yellow pils with a thick white foam. Malt and citrus flavors with a long bitter aftertaste. A typical pils !

garmonbozia (450) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - AUG 23, 2006
Bottle: Not a fan of Pils, but this perhaps better than average. Has a sweet taste to it that I found to be a little weird. It was smooth though.

jcwattsrugger (12559) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - AUG 23, 2006
12oz bottle-pours a foamy white head with yellow color. Aroma is citrus-lime, grain. Taste is citrus-lime-, grain, funky, grass, slight hops-flat/bitterness at finish. Light body, mild carbonation.

someblackguy (16) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - AUG 22, 2006
very good pilsener, dry and clean but with a good deal of bitterness, a good finishing aftertaste. Good stuff

Jimthechap (2064) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 22, 2006
This beer hasn’t been on shelves in New Zealand long but sadly is slipping into the Eurotrash category which houses Stella Artois, Heineken and Carlsberg. Such a pity for something that was the original. In saying that though, there is no reason why knocking off a dozen bottles should have to be a chore. This beer is dry, refreshing and leaves you feeling satisfied that you’ve purchased just the right thing to have with your camambert while you’re watching the cricket.

biggmike (482) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - AUG 21, 2006
UPDATED: APR 24, 2007 My brother (pojo41) likes this so much I decided I needed to re-rate it. Poured rich golden color with little head that dissipated quickly. Not bad, but no overwhelming characteristic that makes it unique in any way. Low alcohol content like a light beer, but much more flavor. Better than Amercan Macro-brews, but in my mind not worthy of the additional price. Slight hint of skunk in the aroma, don’t understand why this isnt packaged in a dark amber bottle to protect from light damage. I guess the green is traditional. Overall, pretty good, but nothing special. Very high on the drinkability scale. They got the amount of carbonation perfect.