overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3797   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Mockba (78) - DENMARK - NOV 13, 2005
Very nice and tastefull beer when you think about it is a mass produced beer. Compared with other pilsners from e.g. Carlsberg this Urquell is much better

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Roli (405) - laval, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 12, 2005
Tick head, a lot of carbonation, kinda watery but and a little bit too hoppy. I had head that this beer was kinda good for the style, but I took one of these and I didn’t really enjoy it, so I took another one to give it another chance, wasn’t really better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tlitt2 (58) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - NOV 11, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2005 Nice sweet/ hay aroma. Beautiful golden color with constant carbonation. Mouthfeel was much smoother than expected. Kept waiting for a bad or metallic aftertaste like other bad lagers I’ve had, but this finished nicely. Haven’t had a lot of experience with good pilsners. Very pleasent to drink though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerMountie (117) - Placentia, Newfoundland, CANADA - NOV 10, 2005
500ml can. Nice golden colour. very little head or lacing but I really enjoyed the taste. Would go out of my way to find this beer again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - NOV 8, 2005
It has that pilsner bite and the lovely gold color, certainly defines the style but I don’t usually choose it. I drank this a lot in Germany where it tasted somehow better than it does here.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
altkencru (143) - USA - NOV 7, 2005
Pretty good Pilsner, although I think it can’t hold a candle to Jever...my favorite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
FistFullOfCats (163) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - NOV 6, 2005
Bottle. Well, it seems to me that many of the pilsner and pale lagers I’ve tried so far have very similar flavors. Variations on the same thing. That being said, this is probably the best of the limited few I’ve tried. Nice golden straw color, with big white head. Lightly citrusy and malty aroma. Flavor was also very malty, but pretty tasty and light. Body is just north of watery, but in this case that isn’t a bad thing. Refreshing beer. If this was cheap, it would be a pretty tempting thirst quencher. Still pretty tasty for what it is, though I’ll take my dark beers any day.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Strykzone (6951) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - NOV 5, 2005
This was a nice looking beer. Then I sampled it. Incredibly bitter! Was ready for the glass to be empty. Just goes to prove you can’t judge a book by its cover. Disappointing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
steve23mj (273) - Essexville, Michigan, USA - NOV 5, 2005
Pours golden with mild whitish head. Nose has underlying skunkyness. May have been an old bottle. Flavor is light malt and strawlike. Finishes with slight and i mean slight hop bitterness. I would rather have a few of these than a BUD anyday.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Homebrewerguy (305) - Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 5, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2006 For years, I’ve heard that this is the world’s best pilsener but the one I’m drinking now isn’t. It’s a little skunky. I know that it is not the beers fault but if we get them that way, C’est la vie! After first taste the hops seem to overwhelm the malt till near the end when it sems to even out. Excellent malt flavor throughout with a palate that seems to say, "Yeah, I’m a light beer, but not a pansy! Rerate on 7/24/06 This beer is much improved when gotten somewhat fresh. The combo of noble hops and toasted malt is heaven to the nose. The combo is evident in the taste also as this is no beer to be hurried. Take your time and "Savor the flavor" . Urquell is no lightweight!