overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (Asahi)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3874   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

beerscout (298) - New Windsor, New York, USA - MAR 4, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 29, 2010 Bottle. Poured to a golden yellow. Clear. White head that dissipated, but not too quickly. Crisp hoppy and grassy aroma. Has some bite to it, but not harsh to the palate. High carbonation. Nice spicy hop start with malt flavors as well. Bitter finish, but clean. Nice refreshing taste. I enjoyed this pilsner, and it is one of my favorites. Works well in a Black and Tan as well.

Swarzbeer (43) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - MAR 4, 2006
bottled. very very good light beer, with great fruity flavour. a little bit bitter taste, harmonic and great :-):-)

YK23 (465) - Haifa, ISRAEL - MAR 4, 2006
On tap: great refreshing pilsener, nice strong white head, some herbal notes, some spicy notes, sharp dry bitterness from the hops, medium body, one of the better pilseners out there.

StueyD (1583) - Heacham, Norfolk, ENGLAND - FEB 28, 2006
A golden brown beer with quite a strong white head. A discreet hoppy aroma with a wheaty finish. the taste is of dry hops and a slightly sweet finish of malt.

stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - FEB 27, 2006
Reach deep in the shelf for this one. Light struck Urquell is awful. But get a good one, and you’re in pilsener heaven. A fantastic summer (or winter) session beer, and a benchmark of the style. Beautiful zesty hoppy bite and flavor, with a solid light to medium clean malt backbone.

winegarner (220) - san diego, California, USA - FEB 26, 2006
I am not sure if my bottle was light-struck, but the hop aroma I had heard so much about was quite skunky. Medium-bodied and malty, almost too much too be refreshing. I did not enjoy this one at all.

smcd (366) - USA - FEB 26, 2006
If you can get this beer fresh, without it having been light-struck, it is a delicious and beautiful thing. Slight notes of sulfur on the nose -- but a big malty aroma accented by spicy saaz hops comes thorugh as well. A wonderfully brilliant clear gold. Malty. Hoppy (in only the way saaz can be hoppy). An almost perfect palate. Get it fresh. Get it on draft if you can’t get it fresh.

joeshmo21 (12) - USA - FEB 25, 2006
I’m very much new to the pilsener style. I poured this out, and it was a transparent golden color, with minimal, quickly-disappearing head. The smell was slightly floral, very pleasant, slightly skunky. I took a swig and was very impressed. Lots of carbonation, prickly on the tongue, good hops flavor. It had a slightly bitter finish and little aftertaste. I’m used to drinking heavy stouts or Belgian Whites, and it is refreshing to have a simple beer like this once in a while. This was an excellent, yet simple beer. I would not hesitate to buy this again, and I think it would be great to have around at parties.

elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - FEB 20, 2006
Tasted as part of an "outhouse" pilsener/lager tasting we had to clean our our fridges. This one held up very well, certainly one of the top pilseners we had that evening.

Ratman197 (14852) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - FEB 14, 2006
Green bottle poured a clear gold with a minimal white head. Aromas of some skunk, sweet malt and and some floral hops. Palate was light bodied and crisp. Flavors of bread, a bit of carmel, some earthy hops with a pleasent bitter finish.