overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (Asahi)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3740   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

jdjuice (500) - Kumamoto, JAPAN - NOV 17, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2006 Pours a goldy orange. Very strong aroma, very pilsenery. A very nice weight to it, not too light or watery, but not too heavy. Would complement a meal very nicely. Crisp and clean. Ridiculously easy to drink, probably the ideal session beer. Complex enough to enjoy by itself, but light enough to drink with a meal and complement rather than dominate. Quite a fantastic beer.

Kingsley (26) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 16, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 18, 2006 Golden-orange in color; nice dense head. Unusually full-bodied for the style. Excellent crisp hop finish balanced by the maltiness. The best pilsner I’ve ever had, and I’ve tried many.

BeerloverEJ21 (131) - Georgia, USA - NOV 14, 2005
The look: I love the look of the bottle, the beer is an amber color, pretty regular. The pour: little head, unusual for a pilsner given the high yeast content in brewing the beer. The smell: one thing about pilsners, they can smell skunky, you have to get them fresh. Taste: good at first, although bitterness in the back of the tongue that lingers(I like a little bit cleaner of a finish). Over all, its pretty average, I think the name and reputation make people think this is a better beer than it is.

Mockba (78) - DENMARK - NOV 13, 2005
Very nice and tastefull beer when you think about it is a mass produced beer. Compared with other pilsners from e.g. Carlsberg this Urquell is much better

Roli (406) - laval, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 12, 2005
Tick head, a lot of carbonation, kinda watery but and a little bit too hoppy. I had head that this beer was kinda good for the style, but I took one of these and I didn’t really enjoy it, so I took another one to give it another chance, wasn’t really better.

tlitt2 (58) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - NOV 11, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2005 Nice sweet/ hay aroma. Beautiful golden color with constant carbonation. Mouthfeel was much smoother than expected. Kept waiting for a bad or metallic aftertaste like other bad lagers I’ve had, but this finished nicely. Haven’t had a lot of experience with good pilsners. Very pleasent to drink though.

BeerMountie (119) - Placentia, Newfoundland, CANADA - NOV 10, 2005
500ml can. Nice golden colour. very little head or lacing but I really enjoyed the taste. Would go out of my way to find this beer again.

eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - NOV 8, 2005
It has that pilsner bite and the lovely gold color, certainly defines the style but I don’t usually choose it. I drank this a lot in Germany where it tasted somehow better than it does here.

altkencru (143) - USA - NOV 7, 2005
Pretty good Pilsner, although I think it can’t hold a candle to Jever...my favorite.

FistFullOfCats (163) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - NOV 6, 2005
Bottle. Well, it seems to me that many of the pilsner and pale lagers I’ve tried so far have very similar flavors. Variations on the same thing. That being said, this is probably the best of the limited few I’ve tried. Nice golden straw color, with big white head. Lightly citrusy and malty aroma. Flavor was also very malty, but pretty tasty and light. Body is just north of watery, but in this case that isn’t a bad thing. Refreshing beer. If this was cheap, it would be a pretty tempting thirst quencher. Still pretty tasty for what it is, though I’ll take my dark beers any day.