overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (Asahi)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3765   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

SimonLarsen (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - DEC 10, 2004
The original. Ah hell this is a damn nice beer. Head, lacing, aroma a bit weak, bitterness. Lovely beer.

braudimusprime (75) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 10, 2004
What can I say, I’m a sucker for this stuff. Crisp, refreshing, and pleasingly complex flavor. Lots of layers and hoppy overtones in the finish. A benchmark for me.

pinotwinelover (18) - USA - DEC 8, 2004
The original, what can one say. This is a fine beer,but the skinky hops are somewhat aparent. This is a great summer time beer.

sfontain (851) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 8, 2004
Finally, a green-bottle beer that doesn’t suck. Light orange/red with a small, white head. Pleasant aroma of caramel and sweet malt. Flavor also caramel and malt, some yeast (!), and generous bitters hops in the finsh. Fairly thin but the stickiness makes it feel thicker. Much better than expected.

tplindler (37) - California, USA - DEC 3, 2004
Golden, slightly bitter, but quite refreshing. When I find myself wanting something a little lighter, this is a hands down favorite.

SimonB (66) - Geneva, SWITZERLAND - DEC 1, 2004
(500 ml can). Creamy average to large white head, fully diminishing, less then fair lacing. Very clear deep gold body. A lot of spicy hops aroma (saaz) as well as strong caramel and some tones of bread and grains. In my mouth, first medium high malty sweetness that rapidly fade away for heavy hops bitterness. Precisely, flavors of sweet caramel and hops first then huge saaz hop bitterness that hides for good the initial flavors. The bitterness is of long duration. As for the palate, it’s a medium body beer which as some kind of mouthfullness first but at the end it’s mostly a dry finish that we feel. Also as a final feel some kind of light astringent probably caused by the high bitterness. A beer that I truly enjoy, had the chance to taste it in Plzen both at the brewery (unpasteurized and unfiltered) as well as the Pilsner Urquell restaurant. Everytime I serve myself a glass of it here in Montreal, those amazing memories comes back! Simply world class (for me).

screwball (1099) - Motala, SWEDEN - DEC 1, 2004
Yellow body with a white head. A fresh pilsner with a grasy aroma and nice hobs flavor. Has a dry aftertaste.

Burner (78) - Cape Town, SOUTH AFRICA - NOV 28, 2004
Best of the main line pilsners, nice and bitter, with a golden body, and fresh aroma

Brewmaster88 (53) - Petrolia, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 26, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2010 Re-rating this...500ml can...My tastes over the years have grown and now I have gained much respect for this beer. Pours gold with an above average white head. Sweet than bitter dry finish. Nicely balanced. Very affordable right now here in Canada ;)

christine21304 (3) - lant, New Brunswick, USA - NOV 24, 2004 does not count
I first would like to mention that i am fairly inexperienced when it comes to rating beers being that this is my first rating. I enjoyed this beer very much after a long week of school and work, it was extremely refreshing, unfilling and easy to drink. The taste is pleasurable and somewhat simple. This beer kicks the hell out of heineken in every aspect and is great anyday of the year.