overall
RATINGS: 12   MEAN: 3.41/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Hot Date is our handcrafted amber ale brewed with a touch of sweet dates and a hint of chipotle pepper heat. We know that a little sweet heat can pair well with a secluded bend in the river or a remote spot on the trail. It may be your first time with a Hot Date in the Ozarks, but it won’t be your last.

strattonspeaks' rating

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
strattonspeaks (113) - Springfield, Missouri, USA - DEC 18, 2013
Pours a deep, brilliant ruby with a skinny off-white topper. As with most fruit based beers the aroma is off-putting to me. I always seem to get the scent of rotten fruit. No matter, this brew is straight up delicious. Nice malt, a unique, subtle date sweetness and a slow creeping pepper heat. The spiciness of the peppers really lingers nicely. Crisp, medium bodied. Tasty as hell.

lavaaaron (55) - - JUN 17, 2017
Smells like mole to me with a nice deep amber color. Almost reminds me of a wine but not in a barley wine way. I really liked how they used the chipotles and after having a bunch of chili pepper beers this one was done right. The dates definitely complement and balance the chipotle. Their choice of malts hold up very well. Really liked this beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

phaleslu (10267) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2017
16 oz. can from Craft Beer Cellar-Clayton. Pours a barely cloudy reddish amber with a small off-white head that settles into an uneven ring and just a few small patches of film. The aroma is earthy but clean, with an almost soap suds kind of smell in there, maybe more mineralic, with subtle dates and pepper. Light toasty malts. The flavor is much different, with more pronounced caramel and sweet toasted malts, earth, leaves, dates, mild smoke, and moderate chipotle heat at the end. Medium-plus bodied, with moderate carbonation and a malty, smooth, lightly sweet and smoky, and barely spicy mouthfeel. This is pretty unique. Odd beer. I probably should’ve opened it sooner.

beer_rookie (566) - Arkansas, USA - NOV 21, 2015
I must admit I was a little nervous when I started this one.

Pours a cloudy near brown. Maybe just a tad darker than an amber. Large soapy head. Okay lacing.

Aroma is incredible! Lots of sweet dates and figs, and a touch of peppers. Very malty nose. There’s something else...

Taste is sweet mostly, there is a little bit of spicy pepper right at the end. Just a touch, not too much. It’s not hot at all, but it does linger and it does grow as you savor it. My lips are burning, but it’s not hot. The dates and figs are very prominent in this. Wow!

Mouthfeel is medium full. It’s not very dry. This is pretty drinkable. I want several more of these. The peppers are there, but it’s not spicy.

Overall, this is excellent. The aroma and taste work hand in hand so well o this one. I’m having trouble finding something that I don’t like about it. This is the highest ranking I’ve given a beer so far, and it is well deserved. This, is really good! If you see this, do yourself a favor, and get it. Then do me a favor, and send me one! I’ve never had a beer with peppers in it, and I’m surprised. I’m willing to try others, but I’ll certainly be drinking this one again!

jgentgesdo (694) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - JUN 16, 2015
Pours cloudy amber with a very scanty off white head that immediately dissipates. Nose is faint pepper, malt, a little dark fruit. Rather sweet. A little astringent at the end. Meh.

Strykzone (7360) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - APR 28, 2014
Sampled at DLD. Kind of bright brown in color with a beige layer. Big maltiness and peppers in here makes an interesting mix. Some smokiness. A bit of sugar and molasses. Interesting and pretty decent stuff.

hayduke (5209) - Eureka, California, USA - MAR 31, 2014
Can sent courtesy of Doran. Thanks. Pours an amber-orange with a big white head. Nose is caramel malts and you can smell the dates. No pepper yet. Medium in body, with a spicy mouthfeel. The flavor is rich and the pepper shows just the right amount to add some character to the beer. Spicy finish. Unusual and enjoyable.

Vcoggins (53) - Cypress, Texas, USA - FEB 13, 2014
Pours reddish orange with very little off white head. Slightly sweet and smokey malty aroma. The taste follows the aroma with a light tingle of peppers on the tongue. Medium slightly oily mouth feel. All in all a decent beer but nothing earth shattering. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

BOSSbrewer (2705) - Arkansas, USA - JAN 17, 2014
Can thanks to Casey at 28 Springs. Pours an orangish red with little head. Not much flavor. Slightly hot and spicy. Medium to light bodied yuck. The peppers distract. Icky.

jandd1983 (4330) - Wentzville, Missouri, USA - JAN 3, 2014
It poured an orange color with a small white head. The aroma was of dates and some chipotle peppers. The taste was similar but not overwhelming with heat. This was a good one.