overall
Brewed by Brauerei Pinkus Müller
Style: Altbier
Münster, Germany

RATINGS: 613   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Made of organic country malt, top-fermenting yeast, natural hops and first-class brewing water in long-proven brewing procedure, strictly after the German purity requirement.

stephen louis' rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
stephen louis (166) - Victoria, British Columbia, - JUL 8, 2006
My beer is called" Pinkus Original Obergärig Alt" This beer name is an alias of Pinkus Münstersch Alt . On the pour the nose is tin and grass with malt. Taste-wise it is not too bad. Lots of upfront carbonation. (If you roll this beerr in your mouth you will pick up bubblegum). Starts malt and a bit too sweet, quickly goes to citrus and lemon-grass, finish is dry. A pretty good hot weather beer.

Bill Becker (1915) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 26, 2017
From Aug 2007

Purchased at Wilbur's in Ft Collins.

It pours from 500ml bottle a clear light gold with a fairly large head of foam. After the second pour, the brew becomes cloudy and the head of foam is more substantial and longer lasting. I've got 2 finger foam in my glass right now and it's not shrinking at all. Nice.

The smell is malty and hoppy. Neither is more dominant than the other.

The taste starts of with some malt but then the hops move in and that's on the citrusy side. This is a very delicate beer and in order for me to get the most flavour out of it, I have to swish it back and forth in my mouth. *That's* when this Alt starts to shine. I get some real earthy notes from the malt as well as some sweet caramel and the hops subside to a point where they're just giving the beer the slightest bit of bitter and semi sour character. I miss the fine nuances when I just sip and swallow.

Overall? I think a lot of the flavour with this Alt will be missed if you just sip or drink and swallow but I find that swishing it in your mouth just a few times will help you recognize what's going on here when you return to sipping/drinking. Just something that I find from my experience. Ymmv. Bottom line: I really like this Alt and I hope to try some more of the style in the not too distant future.

kerenmk (5270) - Tel Aviv, ISRAEL - OCT 16, 2017
Bottle in a hotel room in Dresden. Clear light gold. Warm malt aroma and hay, lightly esteric. Tastes bitter and mildly sour, some tart fruitiness. Light body, light carbonation, mild bitter finish.

peponi (2051) - Strzelce Wielkie, POLAND - OCT 6, 2017
Aroma: herbs, malty, flowers.
Appearance: golden color and white head.
Taste: malty, herbs, flowers, some strange acid notes, dry.
Palate: low body and medium carbonation.
Overall: decent Muenster Alt, rather clear.

ads135 (5053) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - SEP 24, 2017
Not a giant fan of this beer. Light in body, appearance, and definition. LIngering sweetness and strangely metallic off flavor.

Kampfar (288) - Osnabrück, GERMANY - SEP 3, 2017
UPDATED: SEP 3, 2017 From 0.5 L bottle, pours light yellow with a white head. Taste is slightly sour and bitter and light to medium malty. Light body, average carbonation.

Piepenhenrich (1254) - Steinbach, GERMANY - SEP 1, 2017
Being brought up on Altbier (The real on from Düsseldorf, which is dark), I am not too comfortable with a blonde brew labelled Altbier. It's well-crafted, good quality, and I rate Pinkus brewery high, just this one doesn't work too well for me.

tgrtnr (349) - Augsburg, Bavaria, GERMANY - JUN 29, 2017
500 ml bottle. Pours clear bright golden with decent head. Metallic nose. Grain, citrus, barley malt, metal. Hoppy bitterness with floral notes. Light bodied, soft carbonated. Nice. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Cristobal37 (1267) - Budapest, HUNGARY - MAY 16, 2017
Vom Flasche from Bio grocery store in Koln. Fizzy clear yella appearance, not hazy at all. Fresh hops, grassy, malts, nice. Not overbearing and less bitter than other alts Ive had. Hard to distinguish this from a Dortmunder, a wee bit more bitter perhaps. Anyways a good easy beer. Plus point for bio ingredients.

Niko100 (3000) - Chicago, New York, USA - MAR 30, 2017
Hazy golden color; Medium body; Aroma of malt, caramel, & fruit; Flavor of sweet malt, yeast, fruit, caramel, and light hops; Refreshing overall - but not what I expected.

gueuze (986) - - MAR 26, 2017
Hell, klar. Geruch malzig, leicht metallisch. Im Geschmack leicht säuerlich. Wenig Hopfen, moderat bitter.