overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Ertvelde, Belgium

RATINGS: 1836   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Bottle: Unfiltered
Ingredients; Water, Pilsener malt, pale ale malt, Munich malt, aurora and petra hops, yeast
This strong amber beer was first brewed in 1982 at the request of Van Steenberge’s Italian importer. Piraat is a wickedly rich and rounded brew that packs a mighty punch. The powerful glow builds up from inside. Deep golden with a subtle haze. Lots of hops and malt. Mild sweetness. Reminiscent of bread dough, spices and tropical fruits.

Jerre (3826) - Waregem, BELGIUM - APR 10, 2007
Bottle, 33 cl. Tasted yesterday evening
it was years ago that ill tasted this beer.
Dark golden color with a nice creamy white head. Aroma hop aroma, with spice, Taste: yeast, to much of alcohol, and fruitiness. Palate medium/full, dryer than expected, alcoholic. Some of the alcohol comes off a bit too strong.

cheap (6131) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 7, 2007
On tap at the Mad Mex in Robinson near Pittsburgh. The look of this beer in a clear glass is ubiquitous pale yellow american lager - very deceiving. That is where the wontedness ends. There is absolutely no head on this whatsoever. It has a gentle perfumy aroma, fruity and possibly candy too. Wow, first taste is very whiskeylike. The alky is not well hidden. If you are from the Pittsburgh area, the flavor of this reminds me of a boilermaker. I feel I am drinking strong wine or mild liquor. Very little carbonation if not flat. Finish is strong on the uvula, alky hot bitterness that lasts for a while. I was expecting much more from this brew with all the hype I heard in passing before I tasted this. On par with Legacy Euphoria, Kasteel and Delerium. Unlike trppels, I guess they don’t make a real smooth belgian strong. Not impressed.

BigBeer45 (1573) - Michigan, USA - APR 6, 2007
Stubby bottle, poured a clear deep gold with a dense white head (held back on the sediment until the last pour), sweet aroma with yeast, fruit, peach, grapefruit, citrus and spice fragrances,
pilsner malt flavor with a hop bite in the finish, some bread taste, some pepper zing on the tongue, sweet flavor mixed with lemon-grapefruit citrus tang in the mouth, this beer hides the alcohol well, lots of carbonation in the drink, I felt the alcohol singed my nose with a sip but I could hardly taste it, the alcohol became more evident as the ale warmed up, nice mouth feel, this ale is sweet but is balanced with lots of citrus and hops, I enjoyed this drink.

BustedFlat (554) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - APR 3, 2007
Poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass, cloudy yellow with a medium head. Aroma had notes of yeast and citrus. The taste was sweet, but also with notes of spice and peppery. Some alcohol bite which became stronger as it warmed. Creamy, buttery mouthfeel. Decent Belgian strong.

joshwilfong (1200) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - APR 1, 2007
hazy yellow appearance, light head. the beer is surprisingly strong based on it’s appearance almost to the point where it detracts from the beer. the flavor is sweet and malty but finishes with a hot spicyness. overall a nice beer, the alcohol ins enjoyable but slightly detracting

thebaldwizard (1365) - Ohio, USA - MAR 30, 2007
Doses of spices and honey in the aroma coming from a clean golden brown body with a very fluffy white head. A full palate lies under tastes of strong spice and plenty of yeast with some walnuts or pecans showing up in the background. Very dry finish. Interesting.

CheersMate (1343) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - MAR 26, 2007
Citrus-like and bread-like aroma. Nice head, but very creamy. The tight head adds to the creaminess of the beer. I taste bread, yeast, and citrus fruit. Except this quickly fades away and leaves only a bread taste in your mouth. The beer is decent. I would rate higher, but the color is a little disappointing. I was expecting maybe a little darker of a color, but I guess the citrus fruit taste gives this beer a lighter color. I love thick beer which is probably why I only gave the palate a 3. I would say it could get a 4, but just a little too carbonated. The ABV is nice and the brew is worth your time.

rmussman (1701) - California, USA - MAR 23, 2007
Certainly expected a lot from this brew but I have to say I am a little disappointed. I still give it a high rating for quality but its not a traditional belgian ale. Its not strong at all and has a light appearance. good head on it. Mouth is smooth but flavor is evenly malted. A decent brew.

spector (906) - Lancaster, Ohio, USA - MAR 21, 2007
Lots of spices and a slight woody aroma.Pours light gold with a big white head.Spice and alcohol in the flavor.Medium mouthfeel with an alcohol finish.

nearbeer (5636) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 19, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 7, 2008 330 ml bottle, possibly 2004 vintage (04GF date stamp?) in pint glass. Huge meringue-like head requires 3 separate pours, above a hazy golden beer. First whiff and the color almost remind me of a lager! Head is lasting with crusty lacing. Aroma is alcohol and bread, with toffee and caramel hints. Flavor is more caramel and pears flambeed with alcohol on top, with a carbonated hop tingle on the end. Toffee apple aftertaste keeps warming your insides. Medium-light palate is smooth. A little much on the alcohol taste at first, but nicely balanced between sweet and dry; keeps getting tastier the further I get into the glass.