overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Ertvelde, Belgium

RATINGS: 1867   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Bottle: Unfiltered
Ingredients; Water, Pilsener malt, pale ale malt, Munich malt, aurora and petra hops, yeast
This strong amber beer was first brewed in 1982 at the request of Van Steenberge’s Italian importer. Piraat is a wickedly rich and rounded brew that packs a mighty punch. The powerful glow builds up from inside. Deep golden with a subtle haze. Lots of hops and malt. Mild sweetness. Reminiscent of bread dough, spices and tropical fruits.

tiggmtl (4545) - East York, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 17, 2006
Deep citrus, pineapple, meringue and herbal character to the aroma along with bread dough, coriander and alcohol. Very hazy and viscous, almost opaque blonde body is topped by a decent and lasting, pillowy white head that recedes slowly to cover. Sweet and doughy flavour up front has plenty of tropical fruitiness and herbal, lightly spicy notes. Moderate bitterness in the finish. Medium body with lively carbonation that engages the tongue and lips. Tulip glass. Just above fridge temperature. Bottle (BB 27/04/06, Bièropholie, Apr-05).

outerupt (133) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAR 16, 2006
750ml. Colour of wet straw. An oily brew of weight and considerable character. The malt is smooth and supple and serves to round out the shock of alcohol in the beer. There are notes of apple cider, bananas, pineapple, petrol and corn syrup on the nose. The fruit quality persists on the palate with a considerable amount of hops detectable throughout. The finish is long and lovely with hop bitterness providing some cut to the roundness of malts. Nicely balanced though somewhat dangerous brew.

Jukkabro (3484) - Tampere, FINLAND - MAR 14, 2006
(1.5L. bottle) Dark amber colored, big white head. Fruits, licorice, mild alcohol and banana in aroma. Aroma is very unusual with floral, herbal and grassy tones, this side of aroma lost when yeast was poured to glass. Medium to full bodied. Spices, medium alcohol and caramel in flavor with some licorice.

screigh (737) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 11, 2006
Poured a straw color and a close reminder of a white style. The aroma is very slight and weak. It has a slight rubbing alcohol mixed with a Czech pils quality to it. A lightly sweet taste with a lot of alcohol overtones. The actually reminds me of Steel Reserve 211. The only redeeming quality I get is the slight spicy finish that I assume is from the Belgium yeast. I would personally say this beer is overrated.

Mungo (2470) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - MAR 11, 2006
Bottle (from Bitter Virtue, BBE 07/07). Strong alcohol aroma. Along with plummy sugary malts. Sweet with lots of apparent alcohol. In some ways like a slightly refined version of strong dutch lagers.

brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - MAR 10, 2006
Thanks to my non-beer drinking friend Julie, I get to try what I never intended to purchase. 750ml bottle. Pours onion yellow with orange hints at the edge. Hazy with a medium-light fluffy white head. Lightly hoppy and spicy aroma. It’s interesting how Belgian IPA’a smell like this. Distinctly Belgian, from the yeast I would assume. I actually find it distracting for the style. Lightly sweet taste. Belgian yeast presence noticeable by banana, clove and other business. More hops than usual for a Belgian brew. It’s not bad, just NOT as IPA as they talk about on the bottle. Light-medium body. Now that I see this is a strong ale I’m less aggitated about the IPA note on the bottle...Oh well, still not the best in it’s class.

harmfuldrunk (288) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 7, 2006
enjoy pretty cold with little head and very obvious lemony sweetness wheaty taste. not the first time i have had it I think I enjoyed it more those times but still this is a really good beer.

DJMonarch (9179) - Northwich, Cheshire, ENGLAND - MAR 7, 2006
1. On Tap at the Borough Arms, Crewe 08/12/2002 Pale golden coloured and very strong in alcohol. Sour fruit aroma. Warming finish. 2. On Tap at the Borough Arms, Crewe 09/06/2005 Golden coloured sweet on the palate with a sour fruit aroma. Crisp slightly dry malt finish.

rederic (3335) - montréal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 2, 2006
This one was an amber piraat, hazy amber hue, with a thick foamy white head, the nose has a quite strange potato skin aroma probably from the yeast used, with some bready and buckwheat notes, with a grainy and malty accent, follows through on a medium-bodied palate, with a malty character, roasted malt, bready hint, leading towards a mild warming alcoholic finish.

Kevin (2199) - Montana, USA - MAR 2, 2006
Breaking in a new duvel tulip. My third one over the years I believe. Nice orange dusky body with a puffed lasting white head. Orange notes with lemon fried pies in the nose. Strong earthy fruit flavors hit me. Orange peel, dough, and spices. Nice lingering floral spice in the finish that has a bit of lemon there as well. Alcohol is not hidden but not offensive either. This is really pairing well with my burritos I just finished making. The sweet thick sticky beer coats my tongue well after every spicy bite. The yeasty tang is enjoyable too, and that is a welcome thing since for the past few months I had been enjoying Belgian beers less due to the yeasty tang among other things. I’ve missed this. I’m glad I’ve come around again. Or maybe the other brews were just not as good. I’m always open to rerates. The lemon is just kicking everything over. This is good. Very good. A white grape flavor emerges as this warms and the alcohol gets a bit more direct as well. Some melon flavors are starting to show in the finish too. A quality beverage. Ap- 4 ar- 7 tas- 8 pal-4 ov-18