overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Ertvelde, Belgium

RATINGS: 1813   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Bottle: Unfiltered
Ingredients; Water, Pilsener malt, pale ale malt, Munich malt, aurora and petra hops, yeast
This strong amber beer was first brewed in 1982 at the request of Van Steenberge’s Italian importer. Piraat is a wickedly rich and rounded brew that packs a mighty punch. The powerful glow builds up from inside. Deep golden with a subtle haze. Lots of hops and malt. Mild sweetness. Reminiscent of bread dough, spices and tropical fruits.

DJMonarch (9179) - Northwich, Cheshire, ENGLAND - MAR 7, 2006
1. On Tap at the Borough Arms, Crewe 08/12/2002 Pale golden coloured and very strong in alcohol. Sour fruit aroma. Warming finish. 2. On Tap at the Borough Arms, Crewe 09/06/2005 Golden coloured sweet on the palate with a sour fruit aroma. Crisp slightly dry malt finish.

rederic (3337) - montréal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 2, 2006
This one was an amber piraat, hazy amber hue, with a thick foamy white head, the nose has a quite strange potato skin aroma probably from the yeast used, with some bready and buckwheat notes, with a grainy and malty accent, follows through on a medium-bodied palate, with a malty character, roasted malt, bready hint, leading towards a mild warming alcoholic finish.

Kevin (2200) - Montana, USA - MAR 2, 2006
Breaking in a new duvel tulip. My third one over the years I believe. Nice orange dusky body with a puffed lasting white head. Orange notes with lemon fried pies in the nose. Strong earthy fruit flavors hit me. Orange peel, dough, and spices. Nice lingering floral spice in the finish that has a bit of lemon there as well. Alcohol is not hidden but not offensive either. This is really pairing well with my burritos I just finished making. The sweet thick sticky beer coats my tongue well after every spicy bite. The yeasty tang is enjoyable too, and that is a welcome thing since for the past few months I had been enjoying Belgian beers less due to the yeasty tang among other things. I’ve missed this. I’m glad I’ve come around again. Or maybe the other brews were just not as good. I’m always open to rerates. The lemon is just kicking everything over. This is good. Very good. A white grape flavor emerges as this warms and the alcohol gets a bit more direct as well. Some melon flavors are starting to show in the finish too. A quality beverage. Ap- 4 ar- 7 tas- 8 pal-4 ov-18

crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - FEB 27, 2006
Pours a hazy golden color, nice white head. Nothing too crazy here, some fruitness, apples, pears, a little sweet but not much, you can taste the alcohol, nothin special.

Quiver (140) - Augusta, Georgia, USA - FEB 23, 2006
Tap @ YardHouse - Pours a cloudy yellow gold color, smells somewhat sweet, has a fair amount of carbonation. But the taste and I did not get along so well... had a spicey/flowery flavor. Tasted like a bowl of popurri.... One of the few Belgian strongs that I don’t care for....

Birdiebeagle (958) - Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 22, 2006
Bottle Pours a hazy yellow gold with a large white head. Head is mostly lasting and produces decent lacing. Has a sweet aroma. I get some cherries and bubble gum. Taste is a little harsh not real smooth. Has a light carbonationand a good duration. Alcohol is a touch strong. Taste borders on a barley wine to me. This is not a bad beer but you have to be ready for this one. Has a heavy medium to full bodiness.

blankboy (7714) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 15, 2006
Bottle shared with tupalev. Pours a cloudy gold with some sediment and an average size frothy white head. Sweet aroma of yeast, malt, fruit, spices, mild hops and alcohol. Flavour starts with some yeast, malt, fruit and spices and ends with some hops and a mild alcohol burn. Dry finish, full bodied. An average Belgian but still a pretty good beer.

HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - FEB 13, 2006
After staring at this one on the shelf for about 5 years, I decided to take the "plunge". Pours golden with a big white fluffy head. The aroma has a spicy hop scent with some bubble gum present. The flavor is very sweet malty up front with a spicy hop background in the end. The alcohol is present but it is in its place. This is very smooth and easy to drink. Arrggh matey!

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - FEB 13, 2006
Hmmmm. First, I swear I rated this (I bought the gift pack last year, honest). Second, I know it was 10.5%, yet the bottle looked like the picture in the 9% version. Oh well, throw it here for now. Medium yellow, medium white head. Lots of yeast in aroma, some alcohol, some sweetness. Really nice strong sweet taste, lots of yeast and lemon, and the alcohol is present but balanced. Not terribly complex just a good strong beer.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - FEB 13, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2006 I caught a glimpse of it’s viscosity as I poured the first few ounces. Full nectar indeed as I smile. I see the tiny bubbles form this thick froth, as it rises the aroma spills from the goblet into the air creating a symphonic prelude of the olfactory sense. Dough, spices, florals, tropicals, malts, as I watch the goblet fill with golden honey nectar I anticipate it’s crescendo. Just as I suspected, a full bodied ale with flavors perfectly ballanced to confirm this fine ensamble. A touch of sweetness lends just the right amount of distraction to soften the high alcoholic disposition. Banana fruit, vanilla, bubblegum, spice, honey, w/ an asprin tingle on the finish. As with most fine Belgian’s let this one warm a bit, the flavors will intensify. Highly recommended. This is a utility brew.