Formerly brewed at Pitstop
Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)
Wantage, England

RATINGS: 6   MEAN: 3.32/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03/5   IBU: 323   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Cask, Special;

Most RecentTicked By

ladnewton (1975) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAY 1, 2011
Hand bottle shared at CPK on 23.11.10. Cloudy orange appearance, no head or lacing. Yeasty, slightly soapy scents; little prepared me for the conflagration of on-fire hops at the front of the mouth, with a pleasant apricot background. A grassy, bitter finish that becomes intense,almost burningly hoppy and long-lasting. Smooth mouthfeel.

chriso (7569) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAR 17, 2011
Hand bottle from cask (thanks Simon & Jackie) on 23 November 2010. Big hops throughout. Orange peel flavour. Strong bitterness. As the name suggests it’s all about the hops. But they are pretty good hops and, although this beer may be seen by some as a bit of a gimmick, I found it enjoyable and surprisingly drinkable. if not exactly subtle or complex.

Leighton (21477) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - NOV 25, 2010
Hand bottle shared at CPK. Pours cloudy, amber-brown with no head. Heavy hop aroma, grapefruit and pine, with some light, malty caramel poking through. Some malty sweetness starts the flavor, then it is all bitter. Abrasive. Citrus peel. Medium bodied with light cabonation. Finishes hoppy with very light sweetness and faint warmth. The hops linger crazily on the throat and tongue. Abrasive and super dirty. Decent stuff.

harrisoni (18807) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - NOV 23, 2010
Hand bottled from Wantage BF from Jackie and Simon. Unclear orange gold. No head. Aroma is hop grapefruit tangerine some syrup. Hop tea. Interesting but undrinkable. Fun but just too much

SaintMatty (7408) - Uppsala, SWEDEN - SEP 10, 2010
Cask (Egham Summer Beer Festival 2010) - It looks like a milkshake (very cloudy brown) and I am not sure whether this is intended or not. Very hoppy aroma with grapefruit, peach and a hint of TCP. The taste is overwhelmingly bitter and hoppy and lacks balance. Will look to rate this again in future.

Fin (10609) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - APR 30, 2010
Had this at the brewery and also small sample passed on by Peter (Brewer/Owner Pitstop Brewery) Feb & March 2010) Loz and I visited Pitstop back in February to pick up some beer for our winter beer festival, whilst there Peter had taken some of this beer out of the fermenter for us to try. This poured amber with some haze and the hops shone from the nose, Peter spoke of the colossal amount that had been piled into this beer. In the mouth I was suprised to find this wasn’t the tongue stripping, bitter, mouth savaging hop monster that I anticipated. Yes it was undeniably bitter and yet there was a reasonable balance to this, the bitterness lingered forever and a day but it was manageable. With a beer like this its difficult to consider the other attributes as it is really an experiment in what can be done and in fairness is unlikely to be a regular and so what it lacks in finesse it more than makes up for in pushing boundaries. I really didn’t mind this and I like it that small producers like Peter are prepared to do things like this but given the choice between this and a more down to earth offering like the Pitsop Star it would be the latter beer for me every time. I had the second sample at Pre Zythos but it was handbottled and passed onto me by Peter but having been in my fridge for a little while and then travelling to Belgium it had lost its sparkle and wasn’t the same beer that I tried at the brewery, so my rating is for that first taste only. This beer has been available at The Royal Oak, Wantage, Oxon but not tried it again yet. Btw I beleive that the ABV was 8%? A6 A3 F7 P3 Ov13 3.2