Pizza Port Brown Bag Malt Liquor

overall
RATINGS: 12   MEAN: 3.08/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
A blend of Domestic 2 and 6 row malts with some rice and corn adjuncts as well. The beer is hopped with Cluster and Sazz. It is filtered with an OG of 1.065 and ABV 6.7%.

trokini (1025) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 21, 2008
Pours clear yellow with a medium white head. Strong lager smell with some banana. I also got the banana bread taste up front, but then it moved into the sugary-sweet-with-alcohol taste. Fair amount of cereal and corn syrup in the end. I haven’t had a malt liquor in a while, and don’t plan on having one in the near future, especially if Pizza Port can’t put one out that tastes good.

badlizard (5533) - Berkeley, California, USA - APR 13, 2008
On tap at brewery. Hazy yellow with a fizzy white head. Sweet fruity aroma. Sweet banana bread and lemon taste.

Dogbrick (13789) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 11, 2008
Sample at the brewpub. This brew pours a lightly hazed yellow-gold color with a wispy bone white head that diminishes quickly. Spotty lacing on the glass. Aroma of tart fruit and malt plus some grain. Light-bodied with a bizarre malt flavor that didn’t make much sense until learning what style of beer this was. The malt flavor has tart fruit and vegetable notes as well as some yeast. The finish is malty and spicy with a grain/corn aftertaste. While I am not well-versed on Malt Liquors, I did not enjoy this one much regardless.

GisMaster (3) - USA - JUN 28, 2005 does not count
Yo Yo Yo, Brown Bag is my ho!!!! This s..t is trippin’. I give it to all my b..tches so we can get busy quicker. Peace out homey!!!

DarkElf (3067) - La Jolla, California, USA - SEP 1, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2004 (Draft: Pizza Port in Solana Beach, CA) A name like Brown Bag Malt Liquor doesn't instill a great deal of optimism, and I was hesitant to order it, but wow, this beer is surprisingly delicious! The initial flavor is corn grain, but once you take a few sips, the flavor is sweet, bubblegum, alcoholic and very spicy in a Belgian way, and in fact could be classified as a Belgian golden strong ale, or maybe a spicy pale bock; Whatever it is, it's pretty good and that was totally unexpected; It has a fairly bitter finish; The palate is spicy, sweet, mildly syrupy, dense and fully coating, but also a bit harsh; Spicy, mildly Belgian nose has moderately sweet aromas; Pale yellow color; Only a few small bubbles rise through the beer; Very small whitish head on the pour is pretty much just a thin sheen that looks like sawdust; Very nice beer and one I'll not hesitate to order if I see it on tap at Pizza Port again

hopscotch (11236) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUN 12, 2004
On tap at Pizza Port, Solana Beach... I don’t know what’s with the trend to replicate American Malt Liquor, but here’s the latest... Crystal clear, light yellow lager with a small, creamy, white head. Good, ink-blot lacing. Sour, corny aroma with notes of fuzzy fruit. Fairly nondescript flavor. Well-balanced with a blast of alcohol. Medium-bodied with fizzy carbonation. Short, crisp finish. I don’t know what to think. Not great, but not bad. About as good as an American malt liquor gets, I imagine. Eventually, I’ll try the Dogfish Head malt liquor as well, but I’m not excited about it... it's simply my duty (doody?).

Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2004
Clear with a sweet malty aroma. Definitely the best malt liquor I’ve had, but it’s still malt liquor.

SDbruboy (1863) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 22, 2004
Draft. Clear, golden with a large, creamy white head. Sweet malty aroma with a light hop presence detectable. Sweet flavor, slight yeastiness and mild hop finish. Smooth and gently carbonated

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 8, 2004
This brew pours with a pale yellow body topped by a thin head with little lacing. The aroma is slightly sweet yet bitter and yeasty with slight malty notes. The flavor is very similar with stonger yeast notes. Medium bodied, smooth and warming.

Sickboy282 (1116) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 2, 2004
Very dissapointing brew here. Tasted like watered Shlitz malt liqour. Very light, easy to drink, but as far as micro malt liqours go, the bear republic JJJ would be the best bet.