overall

RATINGS: 193   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1/5   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%

Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - NOV 1, 2003
I had this with Bear Mt. Racer X, Hoptown DUIPA, and Ballast Pt. Dorado. Frank was easily my favorite. Racer X was second, and Dorado third. DUIPA was on nitrous and I didn't really like it. I'm not sure if it was the nitrous.

unclebleen (620) - California, USA - SEP 29, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 29, 2004 Rerate as promised: As my tastes have matured I like this one more. What I found lacking in my first rating I now embrace. The excessive hop bitterness is welcomed. Good stuff. Original Rating: Very bitter and many citrus overtones. Typically I would love a brew like this but it lacks something. I can't quite put a finger on it. I'll rerate this one soon.

jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - SEP 28, 2003
Clear amber color with a nice white head. Very hoppy citrus/pine aromas. Flavor is VERY one-dimensional, hop-juice. Body is big and full. If this beer had a little more balanced flavor it could really be a star.

beerguy101 (5360) - Newark, California, USA - MAR 6, 2003
Medium orange color. Aroma is floral hops. A big bodied double IPA. Malts are slightly malty and a little sweet. Hops are juicy, very floral and grapefriuty. Bitter without being over the top. Very flavorful, very hoppy, yet it’s still a well balanced beer. Hides the 9.5% alcohol well. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and crisp. Aftertaste is bitter.

BrockLandersLS (109) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 11, 2003
A very citrusy hoppy brew. I had the cask conditioned version. It had a nice head and an orchestra of hoppy bitterness and citrus flavors. A non-overpowering hoppy masterpiece.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 9, 2003
A good amount of citrus flavor in this one. I had it on the cask. Nice head. A light color. This is a wonderfully blended brew.

mwsf (360) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 9, 2003
Standard version: Dark straw with a nice head. Extremely grassy aroma. Some malt in the nose. Nice bitterness. Good balance for a Double IPA.

joet (2654) - Wilsonville, Oregon, USA - DEC 9, 2002
Iced version. Pungent whalloping aroma, slightly odd and sickly, a little bit of phenols, amazing, creamy feel, totally brutal. This immediately calls out, "I'm going to kick your ass." the hop juice and cane sugar thing is working for this beer.

DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - DEC 8, 2002
I also had the iced version of this orangey/amber beast. Absolutely no head as it poured, and it reeked of a sweet and hoppy smell all at the same time. Tons and tons of burning alcohol as it went down the throat. Very dry, mildly hoppy, less so than most double IPA's, more alcohol than many and it could be heavily tasted.

DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 8, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2005 Iced version 14% abv.: grassy, piney, hoppy, soiled alcohol turning a golden orange..strong but balanced with flames of alcohol and mind altering bitterness..a sticky bitter beast takes control of your tongue, your throat, and warms your stomach..Regular version more drinkable and a good choice on draft.