overall
Formerly brewed at Pizza Port (Carlsbad)
Style: Porter
Carlsbad, California USA

RATINGS: 13   MEAN: 3.35/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29/5   ABV: -

giarcsr (104) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 9, 2005
Very creamy beer with a slightly sourish oatmeal flavor to it. I’ve had better, but I’ve also had worse. Glad I tried it though.

DarkElf (3066) - La Jolla, California, USA - JAN 20, 2005
(Nitro Draft: Pizza Port in Carlsbad, CA) It’s on nitro, but the tan head forms very quickly to about half an inch and stays there. My friend tells me the color is "port mahogany", whatever that is, but to me, it’s a deep, dark ruddy brown. It’s not totally opaque, but close, as you can barely see through the pint. The nose is slightly sour, oatmealy, but not sweet at all, and kind of light overall. Quite roasty in flavor with a moderate oatmeal flavor and a mildly sour finish, but again, with very little sweetness. The nitro yields a smooth and creamy palate. Dry, medium bodied, but less body than other oatmeals. I was pretty excited to try this beer, it sounded so yummy, and my expectations were somewhat lofty, but it is somewhat of a disappointment. Still a decent beer though...

Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 6, 2005
My main gripe with this beer is the serving type. Which begs the next question, why are all the brewpub stouts and porters in Cali served on nitro? What a waste of potentially great beer. Anyway, this beer appeared a deep mahogany in color with a creamy and lasting head of white foam. The aroma was subtle with hints of water, chocolate and roasted grain. Silky & smooth. Notes of chocolate and coffee with hints of apple. But mainly just watery if anything else.

JohnC (3008) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - OCT 25, 2003
This pours a very dark brown and has an oatmeal/chocolate aroma. The body was a bit thin and watery. It was a little disappointing

jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - SEP 28, 2003
Brown/dark ruby. Big roasted malt chocolate aroma. Very nice nutty oatmeal, chocolate flavors. Medium body. Very nice overall.

Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - AUG 16, 2003
Coffee, prune, cask, and a touch of wine in the nose with a tight tan hat. Very smooth with more of the same plus touches of vanilla, cream, and oddly enough, snow. Finishes with coffee and bailies and soft mocha.

BeerLimey (2155) - California, USA - JUN 26, 2003
Light bodied, smooth porter (I didn't see but seemed to be poured on nitro). Smoky, malty flavor, very light in bitterness.

DaSilky1 (2608) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 15, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 28, 2003 had this on draught at the liars club and i want exactly taking notes so this will be 1 of at most 6 ratings without notes..it was dark and it had a nice head on its shoulders..the aroma was stoutish..not unsmellish and not spectaular..the flavor was full, rich, roasty and oatish..no faults..full bodied and decent..but nothing out of the ordinary..on a second sample sum months later i found it more enjoyable even if it was on nitro this time...got a lot of chocolate this time

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 20, 2002
I'm not really a fan of oatmeal porters. Way too creamy for my likings. Good beer, but its just not my bag.

morebier4me (140) - New York, USA - SEP 15, 2002