overall
RATINGS: 153   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Brother Levonian Saison is a Farm House style beer brewed to celebrate the life of Dave Levonian. Our friend Dave was a husband, father, homebrewer and a very approachable guy. He was basically just one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. He passed away in 2008 at was too young of an age. Dave’s passing left a bunch of us looking for ways to celebrate his involvement in the community of brewers in San Diego. The one thing we all knew about Dave was that he loved Saisons...LOVED them. In this bottle, we have recreated one of Dave’s recipes in the hope of honoring the memories he left us. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this beer will go to a college fund that was created for Dave’s daughter. We thank you for supporting his legacy with each bottle.

MrChopin (4304) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JAN 12, 2010
Bottle thanks to smokepot23!
Hazy gold with a moderate, fizzy white head. Nose is surprisingly sweet with heavy fruit in tangerine and lemon, but there is also strong yeast and hints of pepper. A long finish highlights the rounded, yeasty flavor, which is framed by orange, pepper, and floral accents. The palate is world class, somewhat dry and decently thick but still light and vibrant thanks to the controlled carbonation. The only complaint is that it misses on the complex farmhouse element. Despite this, it is balanced on all accounts and is a supremely-crafted Saison.

TonyDiUlio (664) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 7, 2010
Tasted this beer while on Beer Quest 2010 with the guys. This was beer number 83. Due to Andrew’s diligence and persuasive powers, the pub we were at double checked for this brew under Port and they found it. He is so awesome. Pours a golden Haze. Aroma has some fruitiness, ester, and wheat. Flavor is slightly lightly than expected. Strange finish of tomatoes.

Pwn3d (1962) - Manhattan, New York, USA - JAN 1, 2010
Bottle from Coles in Buffalo, NY. Waitress couldn’t find this becuase listed under port and not lost abbey. Finally found and enjoyed. Subtle tomatoes, funky esters, a bit of orange fruit snack, dry. Taste is strawberry/orange, coriander, dry and chalky, bit of farmhouse funk.

BuckeyeBoy (8281) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 26, 2009
Bottle thanks to ditmier. pours out a cloudy white topped with a sand head. Aroma was of sweetness, belg yeast, and spice. Taste more of the yeast, spice, and maltyness. Not to bad.

MJGG (952) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 20, 2009
Bouteille de 750 ml, chez David et Catherine. Merci beaucoup David ! Arômes de levure rustique et de houblon herbacé et floral. Robe dorée, effervescence active et légère mousse. Très sèche et active en bouche, la levure montre de belles pointes épicées et fruitées. On remarque également une belle touche citronnée. Amertume assez forte de houblon herbacé. Y a-t-il une souche de brett dans cette bière ? Une saison exemplaire et vraiment excellente.

Sammy (12610) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 19, 2009
Decent cross style. Fairly hoppy for a saison, but both are understated making for a decent drinking beverage. Lighter colour with fomay white head. ENjoyable.

wetherel (1888) - Cupertino, California, USA - DEC 18, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2009 750mL bottle purchased from PP bottled shop many months ago. I’m not sure why, I haven’t rated it yet. I guess I’ve been looking for a good time to open it. It doesn’t fit into the category of uber rare, or hard to get locally (though it has maybe become this way) or very high ranking, so I haven’t brought it to any local tasting. I’m sitting and eating two soft tacos from Taco Bell, watching an Xmen cartoon. I want something light to drink. I can’t think of a better time to open Levonian. I guess drinking 750mL by myself gives me more opportunity to reflect on the beer, Dave Levonian, and life itself. Here’s to a great homebrewer. Life is a little bit better for everyone, because of you. Cheers! Yellow amber color. High clarity and carbonation initially, but both fade after time, and after the yeast from the bottom of the bottle makes it’s way into my glass. Classic saison aroma, though a little toward the strong side, being amplified by carbonation. Nicer aroma as the carbonation lessens. I would venture to say some background classic Lost Abbey flavor/aroma, though I cannot pinpoint what it is. Very dry. Easy to drink once the carbonation has reduced.

3fourths (9357) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - DEC 14, 2009
unfiltered and bottle-conditioned. careful pour yields a faintly hazed glowing yellow body with a fine-bubbled white head, tall and billowy. nose of lychee, apricots and citrus-scented hops, but it’s driven by an incredibly dense and nuanced saison yeast full of creamy mango and zesty white pepper. dense and frothy without being bulky or weighed down - moderately dry and subtly floral - beautiful beer that reminds me of SPF 45.

ditmier (1508) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 4, 2009
2009 Bottle - Pours hazy and golden with a large off white head...aroma is dry fruit and yeast, banana and clove...flavour is similar, lemon zest and a bit of dust as well, doughy yeast and pear...this was a pretty tasty Saison, but was unfortunately tasted immediately after Dupont Avec, and the differences were loud and pronounced...

jake65 (3983) - Meridian, Idaho, USA - NOV 17, 2009
Bottle - thanks to Ditmier. Dull, cloudy gold pour with a creamy sand-colored head. Smells of yeast, sweetness, and corn. Tastes grainy with yeast and spiciness. Lots of carbonation; crisp for sure. The overtly grainy and yeast mix just doesn’t do it for me.