RATINGS: 585   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
It’s not often that a great summer swell coincides with a full moon, but when they collide, nature affords us a rare opportunity to paddle out long after everyone has called it a day. These moments are a solitary pursuit with empty lineups, but those who carve graceful lines under a full moon understand how things can be dark lonely and rewarding at the same time. So next time you paddle in from an overcrowded beach break, remember that nothing tastes better than a cold beer after a session. We suggest a glass of this smooth roasty black lager for contemplating empty lineups and waves that go on for days. Most likely, you’ll long for epic summer swells under moon lit sessions opening the doors to isolation and empty secret spots of an age trying to pass us by.
Note: Formerly Midnight Sessions Lager.

hapjydeuce (1004) - Carlsbad, California, USA - MAR 15, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2008 On tap at the Lost Abbey release of bourbon barrel Angel’s Share on 3/15/08. Holds a weaker similarity to Serpent’s Stout, which I sampled alongside. Thin appearance, only a bit of light tan head and lacing. Black center with dark brown edges. Ashy and smoky aroma with a robust coffee character underneath. Dark chocolates mixed with more coffee in the flavor and a bittering tangy finish. Medium bodied, easy to drink with lots of carbonation. Aroma became a little fishy with warmth, eventually becoming quite unpleasant. Interesting. Apparently this is made using the second spargings from Serpents Stout.

papajohn (1340) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - FEB 16, 2008
On [email protected] Brewing: Wow, this is a lager? Awesome! Pure black color with a small tan head. Aroma is rich and malty. Flavor starts sweet and malty with coffee and chocolate with a light dry finish. Medium body is creamy with moderate carbonation. Akin to a rich Porter.

wetherel (1894) - Cupertino, California, USA - FEB 10, 2008
This beer is made from the second sparge of the mashed grains from Serpents stout. This must imply Serpents stout will be very sweet or high in alcohol as the efficiency was low enough for the leftover sugar to make an entire other beer. On tap at Lost Abbery during Carnevale release. What a great party, with a band, great food, great people and great beers. I wish I could have stayed longer. This was a very interesting lesson in rating for me. They only let you buy pints, so I bought a pint. I’m not the biggest fan of light lagers, especially when you add too much roastiness, so this was what I was expecting. Initially I get that lagerish taste and am not impressed, but I keep drinking and I like it more and more. A bit of roastiness, but high drinkability. Actually pretty nice.

ajm (1072) - Los Angeles, California, USA - FEB 4, 2008
My tasters may have been wearing off by this point in the evening. Very dark color, pretty bitter dry notes of coffee, but a perfectly good finish. I was not impressed at the time but could really use another go at this one.

DenverLogan (1271) - North Bend, Washington, USA - FEB 3, 2008
At the Carnivele...black; tiny head. Aroma of rich malts. Very tasty and smooth and not really bitter at all. Great balance of toasty malts, chocolate, coffee,

toncatcher (228) - Santee - SAN DIEGO, California, USA - FEB 3, 2008
Enjoyed at the Carnevale party. Pours dark with a thin head, almost non-exsistant. Aroma of malt, coffee, and toffee. Flavors of coffee and malt. Thin mouth feel. A differnt style for me. Nice

padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - FEB 3, 2008
Tried this at the Lost Abbey Carnivale night. Lots of coffee in the flavor. Nice carbonation. Pretty tasty.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 3, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 27, 2008 First Rating of this brew, Pint @ Lost Abbey Carnivale, Carnivale release night party. Goldtwins told me to try this and explained that it was Serpent Stout that had been altered and laggered. I found this beer to be pretty tasty and different, somewhat like a schwarzbier. Pours black with a tan ring. Nose was huge and malty with a big bite of coffee. Taste is very big rich malty, smoky and full of coffee. Overall really a great beer, a style that I don’t usually go after, but I liked it. Cyn had a pint later in the night and she liked it too.