RATINGS: 1498   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.96/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Definitely not your Dad’s Wimpy 30 weight. An enormous & luscious dark ale that’s as opaque and dark as the most well used motor oils.

cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - AUG 29, 2004
8/28/04. Poured out of 750 mL botlte, sampled at Dr. Bill and Steiny’s 8th Annual 12-Hour Beer Festival in Orange, CA 8/28/04. Oh my god, what a beer. I’m going off of my ratings from yesterday, but I have a hard time saying that I didn’t UNDERrate this beer. Here goes: Pours a deep dark brown-red, very thick. Dense, fluffy tan carbonation that is simply outstanding. Superbly lasting lacing, and the most amazing "reverse lacing" I’ve ever seen on a beer. When you tilt your glass, not only do you see a shimmering cascade of tight carbonation bubbles slowly trickling down the side of the glass, but also a rising sheet of bubbles on the opposite side of the glass, tracing the beer up from beneath the surface. It’s hard to explain. But it’s unbelieveable. If I could give the beer something higher than a 5 for appearance, I’d have no problem giving it a 6, 7, or 8. Aroma of sweet malt and faint dark chocolate. Good round malt flavor, a nice mix of dark and mellow malts, cocoa, and a bit of dark berry, fruity flavors. Very nicely rounded. Hugely viscous, awesomely full body. So the flavor is a bit of a disappointment but still pleasant. When will they brew this again? I just want to LOOK at it.

joet (2678) - Wilsonville, Oregon, USA - AUG 4, 2004
cocoas, meat soy, light in body, a cool blend with grape an cherry flavors, a tad bit of fruit skin astringency, groovy. Creativity is a great thing.

Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 7, 2003
Loved it. Was more like a wine than a beer, very good. Would drink it again.

unclebleen (620) - California, USA - SEP 29, 2003
Had on tap at Solana Beach seved in 6 oz. tulip glasses (2001 Vintage). Chocolate flavors primary with strong dried berries not far behind. Subtle bitterness.

rodolito (163) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 2, 2003
Bottled version from 2001. This is one of my favorites. I wish I had bought many bottles at the Strong Ale Festival when I had the chance. Poured a nice black (deep dark ruby when lighted from behind) with a moderately thick, tan head that had a rosy tint. Aroma was full of malts, chocolate and a tad vinous. Flavor was full and complex. Full of malt, chocolate, and sweet! Notes of plum, currant, and raison. Light bitterness in the aftertaste. Very full mouthfeel - chewy and fulfilling. Moderate carbonation full of tiny, soft bubbles. Steady throughout the whole bottel - left a thin layer of creamy carbonation during the whole session. My wife thinks this would make an incredible marinate but I don't have the heart to sacrifice any that way!

Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - DEC 22, 2002
Very interesting. When first released very over the top maltiness and alcohol. Coating like a stout lingering like a barleywine. Made an apearance 6 months later after being spiked with a bit of rum at the Real ale festival and was all of the above only more mature with a dark sweetness akin to WWS. and now a year from its premire still exibits vinious malts and alcohol in the nose. Mouthfeel has thinned out a touch. Strang but interesting dust/ new snow charactor is starting to move in with a raison tartness and a certain dryness in the finish. I think this one is just getting past its prime.

DaSilky1 (2608) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 12, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2009 This is no doubt ports best year round, accessible bottled beer. Its an imperial stout no matter what anyone says, even the brewer. If you can make egg salad out of tofu and call it egg salad, you can make an imperial stout out of whatever the hell this shit is made out of. Fuck, we have better palates than most brewers so their style designation should be taken as a grain of salt. A fine ass imperial stout, better than all the other imperial stouts port puts out combined. At less than $6 for a 22oz, it makes you question reality.