RATINGS: 483   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 65   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
Pirate bomb is our beer Prairie Bomb! aged in rum casks. The flavor from the casks helps impart more vanilla and coconut flavors to the beer while helping to add more body and smoothness to the already explosive and expressive flavors of Bomb!

dzudohonor (228) - POLAND - AUG 21, 2017
Cudowny, intensywny aromat kawy, ziaren kakao, wanilii, czekolady, pralinki, ciemne, suszone owoce, podlany delikatną beczką po rumie. Smak: kawa, czekolada, karmel, nuty rumu, słodycz, wanilia i delikatna papryczka rozgrzewająca na finiszu razem z subtelnym alkoholem po rumie, gęste, oleiste, znakomicie ułożone i zbalansowane piwo, drugie najlepsze Prairie.

Navers (196) - Glasgow, SCOTLAND - AUG 8, 2017
On tap in Zaklęte Rewiry, Wrocław. Wow! Unbelievably complex, rich and tasty beer. I feel like I just found my philosophers stone, a true treasure indeed. Flavor is praline like, with a belgian chocolate, vanilla coffee and milk dessert characteristics. Thick and smooth body, feels like intense cocoa drink spiced up by rum. Chillies are not noticeable but they maybe add some character. It will be hard to beat that, it’s a pure joy for me.

90 (614) - BELGIUM - JUL 23, 2017
Very nice. Thick Imperial stout. I liked the regular ’Bomb’ more. Perhaps because I prefer Bourbon over Rum. Very nice coffee and chocolate. Great.

Ungstrup (38152) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - JUL 20, 2017
Draft. A black beer with a beige head. The aroma has notes fo roasted malt, caramel, chocolate, and over ripe fruits. The flavor is sweet with notes of roasted malt, caramel, and over ripe fruits, leading to a dry roasted finish.

Alengrin (5554) - BELGIUM - JUL 19, 2017
Draft at Gollem. The famed rum barrel aged edition of Prairie Bomb!, with deep cream-beige coloured, medium head which quickly dissolves in the middle but otherwise retains well as a moussy ring, over a black beer with about one millimetre of hazy mahogany off the edge. Nose is immediately ’attacked’ by a lot of real rum, as a heavy layer on top of chocolate liqueur, hazelnut oil, glue, coconut flesh, candied dates, wood (as in wooden furniture), marzipan, amaretto, liquorish, pipe tobacco, shoe polish, wet leather. Expectedly intense flavour with candied sweet onset, dates, almond, some candied cherry, roasted barley underneath providing some sourish balance, initially quite ’prickly’ carbo but in a refined way of very small bubbles, thick and viscous mouthfeel. Dense nutty and caramelly malt body, chocolatey too but before the finish, a whole lot of burning, even fusel-like alcohol begins to dominate, with a lot of heat and a Bacardi-like, actual rum flavour; some vanilla-ish oak and peppery notes of both hop and the added chili peppers at the back, but the rum adds alcohol heat and sweetness to an extent which I personally find over the top. I do not like rum to begin with so this was never going to be my beer anyway, yet I could have forgiven this is if it weren’t so harsh and strong, obliterating the basic beer’s beauty too much. I prefer that stunning whisky barrel aged version way over this.

77ships (10473) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - JUL 14, 2017
Draft glass @ Gollem: Omnipollo Craft Beer Madness. I keep getting frequently disappointed by Prairie beers, I really don’t get the hype. I don’t get how this is a top 50 RIS. 2014 / 2nd batch. Black with thick mocha deep chocolate head. Overly rubbish vegetable poor chili totally dominates the nose, poor vegetable thai & habanero chili, thin roasted mocha,... Taste is far too heavy on rubbish poor overly vegetable chili with molasses syrup, herbal, vegetable thin cacao, mocha, chocolate, sugar, overly alcoholic, plastic,... Plastic, very thick molasses syrup & far too vegetable chili. Awful overly vegetable chili totally ruins this beer for me.

koleminer20 (3798) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - JUL 14, 2017
Shared at the Prairie Everything Dark/Kill Your Liver Extravaganza at Jeff’s House on July 1. 12 oz bottle, vintage 2016. The pour is a lighter black with a thin ring of dark brown head and no lace as it vanishes. The aroma is full of chocolate and a heavy sweet rum addition. There is a light vanilla, a hint of coffee, and just a touch of pepper. It’s well balanced, and sweeter throughout. I like this a lot. The flavor is just as good. The chocolate and coffee are big up front. The rum barrel adds a beautiful sweetness and a great vanilla to it. There is a hint of alcohol, but it’s great. The mouth feel is a medium to heavy body with a soft carbonation and a lingeringly boozy sweet rum and chocolate aftertaste. This is fantastic. I love the depth of the rum here. 9 4 9 4 17

SG111 (1936) - New York, USA - JUN 22, 2017
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2017 Bottled. 15%. Rated 06/22/2017. Pours pitch black, tan head. Aroma is chocolate, coffee, coffee cake, cinnamon, rum, dusted cocoa powder, vanilla, coconut. There is plenty going on here, and it really is lovely. Flavor is chocolate, cinnamon, rum, rum booziness, coconut strips, vanilla, coffee cake, some chili peppers. Wow, what a majestic beer. That mouthfeel is absolutely perfect. Perfectly syrupy smooth. I cannot believe how good this is. I’m really surprised. I expected it to be good. But not this good. Maybe better than Xmas Bomb depending on the mood (which for me is saying something). 849518 - 4.4 Revisited 09/24/17. Amazing. Just as good as I remember. bumped the aroma a spot. 949518 - 4.5

pkomar (510) - Poznan, POLAND - JUN 13, 2017
This particular bottle, that Ive tried was a bit too old I think and the first time Ive tried it it might have been a bit too young, but in both cases I had a feeling that it is a class beer. Decent amount of rum which merges well with notes of chocolate and some vanilla. There is also some notes of coffee with decent amount of chillies on the palate (not overwhelming, though). Great stuff.

kevinator (2445) - The Colony, Texas, USA - JUN 11, 2017
Another incredible spin on their Bomb! Aromas and flavors of rum, chocolate, roasted malt, hops, coffee and spice. Slight oak sweetness. Beautiful color and a thick mouth-feel with a thin head. Near perfect.