overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 135   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Rahr’s Iron Thistle - Scotch Ale

Fratto (2845) - Arlington, Texas, USA - SEP 18, 2009
I loved this. I can’t decide whether I like this or the Belhaven better. I had them back to back and I still can’t decide. This beer leaves a fantastic taste in your mouth for literal minutes after each sip. Apparently I’m a Rahr fanboy now.

Cavie (4718) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JAN 27, 2009
Tried on tap @ Ginger Man in Fort Worth. Beer has a dark appearance with a rosy hue. Thick, foamy head sustains for several minutes. The aroma was soft and subtle, and warms the nose. Initial taste was a soft bitter flavor mixed with caramelized malts. It had a thick feel over the tongue and finished rather dry with a sustained sensation of tingling in the center of the tongue. Overall this was a fine specimen that can only be found on tap. Rahr has done it again!

nathan30533 (1020) - Clifton, Ohio, USA - NOV 17, 2014
This is great beer. I’m enjoying the Scottish ale style as this beer is sweet and smooth. Looks geeat. Taste great. Very enjoyable ale.

dyetube (1378) - Hurst, Texas, USA - JAN 27, 2011
Bottle from Kegs and Barrels. Pours a deep brown/black with a thin ran head. The aromas are barley, chocolate, coffee. The mouthfeel is sticky with a medium body. Thus was a really nice beer! Cheers!

crajun (1243) - , Texas, USA - MAR 24, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 14, 2016 re-rate 2/16 bumped from 4.0 Not sure I found this beer last year, but got my first 6 pack for 2016. BETTER and more complex than I remember. healthy bump in everything except aroma - more flavors than I remember including some light chocolate; perfectly balanced hops. may have to buy a case!>>>>>>>>>> that is gooood; between this and snowmagadden for my favorite rahr; new style for me and comparing this to Founders Backwood Bastard - they are different but both excellent (both a 4.0). bottle to glass dark brown pour with amber hue creamy palate - the taste is breat with many things happening - the creaminess, smooth hop/malt balance, slight roastedness at the end, slight toffee and I get a little cocoa on the back end. hides the 8.5% very well. I will puchase a six pack and will also share as extra in the future - this is very good!! nice job Rahr!!

AWMiller (512) - Mansfield, Texas, USA - JAN 18, 2012
what an awesome brew from the folks at Rahr’s! smooth and delicious and so full of flavor! would love to have some on tap at their brewery tour!!

brittanynl (42) - Rowlett, Texas, USA - MAR 6, 2012
Dark coffee, woody, and malty flavors. Like drinking velvet, it’s very rich and flavorful. Very tasty beer! Love the coffee flavors and how smooth it goes down but wished the malt taste lingered as long as the coffee.

michaelc1945 (2) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JAN 20, 2013 does not count
This is a great ale. Dark brown almost black with a malty taste with just enough hops to my liking. The alcohol is a bonus.

Andrew196 (1902) - Katy, Texas, USA - MAY 9, 2016
Deep dark cherry in color, flimsy beige head, kinda fizzy in appearance like a cola. Aroma of sweet tea leaves, tobacco, dark fruity malts and caramel... Smells bold and clean. Lots of caramel, toffee, light roast coffee and notes of mint. Crisp on the tongue initially but leads to a bit of a fuller bodied, lingering finish of malty yumminess. Well masked alcohol.

Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 23, 2010
Bottle courtesy of angrypirate06. Pours dark brown with a tan head. Smells of peated malt, sweet caramel, spicy, dark fruit. Tastes of smoky malt, chocolate, earthy, sweet, fruity. Very enjoyable. Texas craft beers have come a long way over the past 6 years.