overall
RATINGS: 311   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Rich creamy head with bouquet of wheat malt, black current, clove, and apple. Deep full flavors of caramel and chocolate malt balance with hops for a smooth warming character. The finish is smooth and malty leading to a subtle alcohol and dark caramel finish.

hfmejias' rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hfmejias (1297) - Marshall, Minnesota, USA - MAR 15, 2013
12 Fl. Oz. Bottle. Pours a dark brown with minimal off white head that disappeared very quickly and no lacing on glass at all. Aroma of fruits, spices, wheat and caramel/molasses. Taste is also quite sweet but spicy balanced with toasted malts. Very good overall.

gripweed57 (2917) - Hamilton Square, New Jersey, USA - DEC 6, 2017
12 ounce bottle. Dark brown color. Small creamy beige head. Rich, sweet roasted malt nose. Notes of caramel and dark dried fruits. Bittersweet dark wheat malty notes. Clove, plum, raisins, chocolate, earthy, yeasty funk and sweet onion jam. Complex and flavorful with hearty wheat notes. Very good.

Bill Becker (1911) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 19, 2017
From Jan 2007

This one pours from 12oz bottle(room temp, best by Sept) a rich and thick looking very dark brown with a very small head of foam that disappeared almost immediately. Still, there's some lacing when I tilt my glass.

The smell is complex. I note wheat, dark fruit, clove, banana and more.

The taste on first sip is very clovey with big hits of wheat and plum. As I swish the brew in my mouth, I'm getting good banana and more of the plum and clove and they're all working so well together with the finish being on the dry side.. And... where the heck is the 9.5%abv?? I hardly notice any warming as it goes down and I find that almost unreal!

I'm on the last third of my glass now and the tastes just seem to get better and better as this liquid nectar warms up even more from the body heat transmitted from my hand to the glass. Wow, just wow.

As I take my last sip, I notice just the tiniest bit of sediment in my New Belgium goblet but more importantly, I realize that I've just had a thoroughbly enjoyable drinking session with one, fine American Weizenbock!

Bottom line: This is, imho, a world class brew and a *must* try if you see it in your area. Me? I got my sample from my buddy in NYC, nutbrown. Thanks a bunch!!!

dagimp (1008) - Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 27, 2017
From a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a very cool purpleish color. Little lacing or head. Fantastic fruit aroma! Cherries, berries and grape soda... but in a good way. Mouthfeel is moderate to thick, but in a lager type way. Taste is also straight dark fruit with some minor whiskey or bourbonish flavors. Fantastic. Definitely let this one warm up a bit, it makes it 5X better than if it’s fridge temp. Great stuff!

weihenweizen (4166) - Charleston Area, West Virginia, USA - FEB 9, 2017
Grower poured into a snifter. Opaque medium with no head. Aroma is clove, medium body, a little carbonation, and little lacing. Taste is clove, bread, chocolate, and some caramel.

jp3 (9) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 7, 2016 does not count
full flavored caramel and chocolate mail, a great balance of tastes and ABV which is well hidden, my favorite of all ... great on a cold night and just as good on a warm summer night....love it

katrinaez (2307) - norristown, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 11, 2015
Don’t recall when or where I had this. I enjoyed the beer and want it again. Had on tap

kraddel (9176) - Antwerp, BELGIUM - FEB 8, 2015
tap . Pours dark , clear brown . No real head . Smell is a bit sweet . Taste is bitter chocolate, malty , yeasty a bit as well . Taste is intense, malty and sweet in the back . Way more intense ( way better ) than I expected .

ThirstyBird (3012) - Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, ENGLAND - AUG 8, 2014
Old review from 2008.
12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass
Pours very dark brown light barley penetrates but does show a slightly reddish hue. Head is light tan which falls to a ring.
I get dark bread, wheat, toasted malt, fruit and some molasses.
Sweet and fruity in flavor. I get prunes as well as the molasses malt with a little bit of spicy hops on the finish
Medium body and quite smooth with a little carbonation tingle.
This is a very nice wiesenbock - great for a cold weather drink. Has similarities to a dopplebock in it’s richness and fruitiness. Interesting take and delicious. It’s hard to believe that it’s 9.5%!

kerenmk (5269) - Tel Aviv, ISRAEL - MAY 6, 2014
Bottle sample at a tasting at the Beer & Beyond shop. Thanks DSG. Hazy dark brown and headless. Picklish aroma, a little nasty with hints of wheat beer characters underneath. Very sour, olive water taste. No carbonation, full-bodied, picklish finish. Nasty.

zvikar (6519) - Ramat Gan, ISRAEL - APR 18, 2014
Bottle sample at a tasting at the Beer & Beyond shop. Thanks DSG. Pours brown hazy with a brown head, aroma of honey, coffee, caramel and yeast, flavor of pickles, roasted malt, medium bodied.