Formerly brewed at West Berkshire Brewery
4.3% Bitter |
1 Rating |
Special Release |
The town of Reading once had a large abbey, about the size of Westminster Abbey, which stretched down to the Thames. It was founded by Henry 1 in 868 but now only ruins remain. A hospital, dedicated to St Mary Magdalene, was built here in 1134 by Aucherius, second abbot of Reading, for twelve leprous persons and a chaplain. The Abbey buildings were annexed by Henry V111 in the reformation and used throughout the reign of Elizabeth1 as well after which they fell into disuse and the stones were used as far away as Wallingford. There are names in existence in Reading today that are traceable back to the abbey such as Friar Street. You can still walk in the ruins today on the edge of the river Kennet and in Forbury Gardens.
A red-hued beer perhaps not unlike those that may have been brewed at the abbey (many abbeys had their own brewhouses). Full malt flavours combined with berry fruit flavours from local hops.