Liberty Renall's Towards Muriwai

Formerly brewed at Liberty Brewing Company
Auckland, New Zealand
11% · Imperial Stout · 2 Ratings · Special Release ·
This is a beer with a story, entered in the Brew NZ Awards under festive brew and was awarded bronze. This beer was brewed to celebrate the 12 years that Christina and I have been together for. 1% of abv to represent each year...problem is, I didn’t do my sums right, and we only ended up with 11% ABV. It’s a "Black Forest Stout" meaning I have used an imperial chocolaty nature of a stout for the chocolate end of the Black forest... and then there is the 15 grams per liter of Sour Morello cherries to add their character. I also used coconut nectar as a fermentable and to add some slickness to the palate. The beer symbolizes Mine and Christina’s relationship. We both spent a lot of our youth at Muriwai, which is depicted in the label. The artwork came of an art teacher we both had at College. We met each other at this college 12 years ago, and ended up getting married. Now we own a brewery together making special beers with fuckloads of booze and interesting flavours in them! On a side note, this is the Ladies Beer I was talking about all those months ago. My entire point was that it not what’s in the bottle that makes it a ladies beer. It’s the sentiment. The imagery... that marketing etc. Who would have thought that an 11% ABV imperial stout would count as a ladies beer?

Aroma
Appearance
Taste
Palate
Overall
Total Score
Comments

Beer Rating Assistance

Aroma is one of beer's most complex features. Aroma is propelled by lively CO2 and dampened by pillowy heads - especially nitrogen foam.

Malt
caramel bread hay cereal chocolate coffee nuts toast roasty

Hops
resin floral grass spruce citrus herbs

Yeast/Bacteria
dough barnyard cheese basement aromas leather earthy leaves

Other
alcohol banana bubblegum butterscotch clove cooked vegetables cough drop ginger licorice raisin rotten eggs soy sauce skunky smoke vanilla woody
Appearance is how a beer appeals to the eye and includes notes on color, the liquid's visual texture and the head -- the beer's foam top.

Color
pale golden amber orange red brown black

Liquid
clear hazy cloudy sparkling

Head
rocky frothy minimal white tan brown
Taste is what can be appreciated with the tongue. It's easy to mistake aromas for tastes -- the tongue only senses sweet, bitter, sour, salt and umami.

Sweet

Bitter

Sour

Other
salty umami
The palate includes touch sensations on the lips, tongue, gums and roof of the mouth.

Body
light medium full

Texture
thin oily creamy sticky slick thick

Carbonation
fizzy lively average soft flat

Finish
astringent bitter abrupt long

Click the descriptors above to add them to your comments.