overall
RATINGS: 187   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 55   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Our winter seasonal Phoenixx rises from the great ale recipes of the UK, but we’ve brewed it with a distinctly American attitude. Deep amber in color, Phoenixx delivers subtle notes of toffee and caramel, characteristic of traditional English Crystal malt. Yet with this ale, it’s all about the hops. Made from a blend of hops from across the pond, highlighted by the Phoenix hop variety from Kent, this special brew’s signature is its complex and strong hop character. This winter, warm up with a pint or two of a British-inspired beer that’s been reborn a Texan. 15.5°

KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - JAN 21, 2006
Tap at Falling Rock, Houston
Pours a cloudy brown with nice lacing. Aroma is sweet nut. Flavor is a nutty IPA. Palate coats. Another stellar effort from Real Ale.

Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JAN 16, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2006 Draught. Very nice almandine body with a half inch dense/foamy head. Nose-very clean sanitized smell backed up with some aroma hops. Taste-medium bitter in the middle, medium alcohol, papery, a very odd flavor that I can’t quite put my finger on that I can only dexibe as lightly charred wood and paper. Reminds me of burnt grapefruit. A def. burnt fruit taste. Perfect bitterness, good malts an sweetness, but damn-that odd taste reminds me of staleness. Good lacing.

legion242 (2348) - Richardson, Texas, USA - JAN 11, 2006
Not bad. Very full body with nice mouthfeel. A little too much hops for me for an ESB. Alcohol well hidden.

Tejas (1008) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 11, 2006
Draught > Flying Saucer. Like all Real Ale beers, this is good & plenty drinkable but not great. Good representation of the style but seems to be missing somewhere. Maybe more body? Seems sort of thin to me. I’ll try it again though.

jtxx (149) - san antonio, Texas, USA - JAN 9, 2006
Tap @ Hills and Dale. Girl behind the bar said it tasted like an IPA..I will never listen to her again.

Dark red/brown with little head. Not overly malty. Great beer from Real Ale.

Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - JAN 8, 2006
Pour is nice amber with a nice white head...smell is very earthy and grainy with some hints of doughnut batter...taste was very on par for the style...somehwat sweet with a nice mild bitter finish...some notes of grapefruit too?

grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 30, 2005
An interesting specimen. Dark colors. White head. Treacly. Nose has that english malty or maybe it’s burtonized water thing. I don’t know what the hell it is, but it’s that chalky taste that british beers have some times. Pretty good. Malts fly around and stuff in your mouth. Sweet with a great lingering hoppy bitterness. Nose is more chalky than anything else. Satisfying to say the least.

fly (1487) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - DEC 30, 2005
Not overwhelmed, but tel me who would be after midnight on a work day after having downed hefty samples for a few hours? I did rathe like it and look forward to trying some more. Maltier than hoppy which is I suppose par for the course and the "ES" of the "B" being phoenix which is a new one foe me so far as I know. Hurrah for more Real Ale beers!

HumuloneRed (765) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 22, 2005
On Draught at The Draught House. Pours murky red with an off white head and good lacing. Nice earth, malt, and grassy notes in the nose. Strong bitterness up front with some earth/grassy notes and good malt profile. Very drinkable beer. Another good one from Tim and the crew!