overall

RATINGS: 456   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57/5   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Measuring between 10 and 11% ABV, depending on the year, this barleywine was Real Ale's first seasonal product. It is uncharacteristically smooth for this style of beer, as it is created with five different kinds of hops. It also displays a rich malt character, and the healthy portion of hops gives it a distinctive dry and balanced finish. Sisyphus Barleywine Style Ale, weighing in around 480 calories per 12 ounce serving, is not for the faint of heart. Makes a great nightcap!

johno (185) - Galveston, Texas, USA - JAN 28, 2013
Great looking beer, dark cloudy amber with white head.. nice aroma with citrusy hops, orange, honeyed sugary character... pleasant mouthfeel, quite viscous, rich, complex, well-balanced.. distinct hoppy finish.. great effort.

brew3crew (182) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 2, 2012
2007 vs 2008. Carmel body with no head. Np signs of infection. Smells like sweet caramel. I think I like the 08 more. More sweetness and character.

auto (163) - California, USA - FEB 19, 2007
blanco texas orange colour kinda light but kinda dark flavor is not bad at all orangish smokey brown fuggin chillin in da trees flavor and shit dis shit was reael alright later

texasbartender (160) - Sugarland, Texas, USA - APR 5, 2008
If you can get past the name and drink the beer without putting on a condom, you’ll find that Texas might just be catching up with the rest of the micro-brewery scene. Actually, as you might know, Sisyphus is a mythical Greek figure, not a STD, who was doomed to pushing a boulder up a hill for all eternity. When the boulder finally reached the top, Sis would lose the rock and be forced to repeat the exercise. All this because of his belief that his trickery was beyond that of Zeus. I don’t know why you would name a beer after this guy. If you ask me pushing heavy loads up hills and drinking beer are just about as opposite as you can get, but to each their own. Maybe the brewery is hoping that we will repeat the exercise of drinking the barleywine over and over again. But, at 11%, this might be a bit overwhelming. The beer pours a thin tan head atop a amber coloered beer. The nose has toffee, caramel, honey, and floral elements. The mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth for a barleywine. Maybe it’s just me, but I find this to be the easiest to drink barleywine I’ve ever had. I think this beer is easier to drink than their recent seasonal release the Phoenix Double ESB. Me and Sisyphus here could get into trouble quickly, and I don’t think the “push the boulder up the hill option” is an option nowadays. This of course is riding on whether the beer tastes good. This is certainly the case as a pleasant combination of light coffee and toast, honey/maple syrup, and floral flavors are balanced well with a present, but not overbearing bitterness I really didn’t notice very many citrus components at all, which is something that usually jumps out at me in beer. I do think this beer could have offered more however. The beer’s flavor was rather modest for a barleywine, which isn’t what you are usually looking for when pulling this style of the shelf. Nevertheless, evaluated independently, it is exciting to see a Texas label put this out.

DarkBeerChick (155) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - OCT 18, 2010
Bottle at llcolldave’s - 2009 batch. Aroma is of dishwasher soap, honey, caramel and orange. Light, hazy, dingy orange in color with no head. Taste is sweet orange. Ends bitter with alcohol on the nose. Smooth with minimal carbonation.

jtxx (149) - san antonio, Texas, USA - MAR 18, 2005
On tap @ Flying Saucer. You can really taste the 11%ABV. Orange appearance with no head. Like a waterdowned Scotch. Nice sipping beer.

xibalba89 (147) - New York, New York, USA - DEC 27, 2007
Pours amber with little to no head. Aroma is heavy with alcohol, some sweet fruit notes coming through. The flavor is heavy on the alcohol, light on everything else. Kind of sweet, but without distictive flavors. Some malt in there as well. I don’t know, maybe I’m just not a barleywine fan. I’ve only had the Dogfish Head Old School Barleywine and that didn’t impress me much, either, though it was better than this. I’m going to continue to try barleywines, but I won’t be revisiting this one. (note: it succeeded in giving me quite the buzz)

dzimm27 (143) - - MAR 5, 2012
Heavy malty nose, orange/brown body. Thick, sweet, malty. Hops are well behind the malt profile, only hit the back of your mouth. Hops seem a bit at odds with the malty profile, don’t blend as well as you would hope. Good but not great.

Botnik (142) - Fall River, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 20, 2008
2007 12oz bottle. Maybe I should try this again at a higher temperature. It seemed to be holding something back.