overall
RATINGS: 319   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
Don’t be fooled by the label depicting a Grim Reaper Santa Claus in a sleigh pulled by skeletal reindeer - this is not a Christmas Ale. "Sleighor" is an Imperial India Pale Ale. The intense hop bitterness, flavor and aroma will dominate at first. To complement, the body has a complex blend of malt and alcohol flavors. The ABV is 9.1%, and the IBU’s are pushing the mid 80s. The entire family of Cascade hops is used. Cascade, Centennial and Columbus are spread throughout the boil, and a huge sack of Amarillo for dry hopping. The hop combination gives this brew a distinct profile true to its IPA roots. The presentation is clear copper with a thick tan head, coupled with billowing citrus and floral hop aroma. "Do You Dare" to enjoy this fine ale from the Reaper? Brewed at Sudwerk for ReaperAle.

StoutsRights (10) - USA - MAR 9, 2005
Bottle. Dark copper color (not really "pale," but that’s quibbling). Strong pine scent and flavor, more so than any other. Darker in flavor as well as appearance than most pale ales. Not underpriced, but it’s nice to try something new (especially something covered with skulls). Most closely resembles YuleSmith. Claims it is not a Christmas ale, but there is distinctly an image of a skeleton reindeer on the bottle (with red eyes rather than a red nose), along with Death riding a sleigh (Santa’s?). False advertising?

phenol (7) - USA - MAY 28, 2008 does not count
Pine resin nose with floral infusion. Orange to copper color, small soft head that dissipates quickly- no lace. Hop bomp, sweet malt, more hops, hop juice. Sweet hop juice- not much else. A novel hop expression- just ok.

Spookykinkajou (4) - USA - NOV 26, 2005 does not count
Smells great, looks nice, but it has a bit too much bitter grapefruit like taste for me. It’s strong though. Maybe on the 2nd glass I’ll have to edit this.

BarleyWino (3) - California, USA - NOV 22, 2004 does not count
I had this last night. It was pretty good, but not special. It also wasn’t, to my palate, really an IPA. It was hoppy, but the overall character was like Oggi’s Hop Whompus—only not as good. My wife and I agreed that it was more of an American Strong—she thought it was an attempt at an Arrogant Bastard copy. I agree; it also reminded me of Hop Rod Rye. Too much malt flavor and not quite enough grapefruit to be a true IPA, in my opinion. But I could be prejudiced by my preference for Oggi’s IPA and Stone’s Ruination, both of which have that sour finish. They’re much lighter in color, too. The flavor had a surprising lack of complexity given the 9.1% ABV, although I must say the alcohol was hidden well. Perhaps too well. Not much aroma to speak of. That’s a surprise, too, in such a hoppy beer. All in all it reinforced my impression of the whole Green Flash/Reaper line: The beers are fine, but why would you choose them when there are better examples of the same styles that are just as easy to get?