overall

RATINGS: 471   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18/5   EST. CALORIES: 157   ABV: 5.23%
A traditional London-style, top-fermented black porter.

ian2000gsxr (69) - USA - MAR 21, 2005
black with little tan head.. smells of rosted coffee and chocolate.. coffee taste with a slight fruityness.. a decent porter

openwindow (67) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 31, 2005
Had on nitrotap at Strange Brew in Manchester NH. Nitro added a lot to the beer, as it seems rather pedestrian otherwise. Color is a bold darkness that would be the benchmark of the style. Strange aftertaste (some below say lighter fluid... not sure I’d go that far) knocks it down a few pegs in my book. Exceptionally smooth, velvety texture. Initial impression of the beer is very good, but subsequent tastings have diluted my enthusiasm for the beer.

mattduling (64) - Fairmont, West Virginia, USA - JUN 12, 2002
Just not what I expected, dark in color with a creamy head but light coffey chocolate taste. Just not much there.

solsticebrew (61) - USA - AUG 13, 2009
Bottle, Honolulu. Carmel and chocolate aroma. Very dark amber but can still see light through the beer. I like this porter, it is a good tasting beer that is not too heavy. Good on price and taste.

Cam501 (58) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 3, 2002
Not as full bodied as most good porters but very drinkable. Slightly hoppy finish.

NWHopHead99 (58) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - FEB 14, 2002
Not a beer I will drive out of my way to obtain, but the Blackhook should be one of Redhook’s frontliners! It’s dark stout color rewards you with a clean, hoppy, rich winter-beer flavour. I prefer Widmer Brother’s Winter Nakt, but the Blackhook has a nice dry flavour that is palatable pint after pint.

Treephiend (58) - New York, New York, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Pours dark dark brown with a tan head. Smells of coffee and dried fruit. Its a good dark porter, all the flavors of a stout are there, just a bit more subdued, the chocolate, the coffee and the dried fruit. The mouth feel is somehow creamy yet thin at the same time. Weird. I usually have medium expectations from Red Hook and this is exactly what I was expecting. A solid brew.

pinkandgeek (56) - Georgia, USA - JUN 27, 2007
Had this beer on a recent trip to Washington, I was impressed with the rich, black body that smoothed over the palate with mild chocolate in mind. Lovely roasted malts are apparent, however the finish is weaker than expected. All in all, a decent porter. That goes light on sweetness and heavier into those toasty warm malts.

biomechanic (55) - Washington, USA - JUL 13, 2003
Not a bad beer but is kind of watery for the style. Not very alcoholic and goes down smooth.

sallyclub99 (54) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JUN 10, 2000
Haven’t had this one since I visited the brewery itself, but it is a very good brew.