overall

RATINGS: 466   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18/5   EST. CALORIES: 157   ABV: 5.23%
A traditional London-style, top-fermented black porter.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mattduling (64) - Fairmont, West Virginia, USA - JUN 12, 2002
Just not what I expected, dark in color with a creamy head but light coffey chocolate taste. Just not much there.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Fish (440) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 25, 2003
Not a big fan. It's my first "Porter" style beer though. I was imnpressed by the deep red color of the beer in the glass, but the head was not very impressive. It was pretty flat, and it seemed to me to have a sort of sour flavor in my mouth. It goes down smooth enough and is a decent drink. I believe it cost something like 6.50 dollars for six pack.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - MAR 24, 2004
Bottled. Im sad to say it but this isnt even as good as home brew. Gutting really that someone should produce a Porter of such poor quality. Dark brown with a quickly settling tan head. Fishy aroma that effectively masks the malts underneath. Its probably wrong of me to say home brew as many people brew better than this without trying.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
michael-pollack (4959) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 30, 2004
12oz. Bottle: Smells faintly of choclate and malt. Dark brown in color, but looks a little thin. Poured with very slight head, that disappeared quickly. Slight lacing. Flavor is of choclate and vanilla. A little weak and watery. Palate was ok; no real finish to speak of. Overall, I am not that impressed, though it is not a bad beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - JUN 19, 2003
This "porter" has a watery appearance. The taste is like a light beer with a hint of roasted barley. There was nothing particularly remarkable about this beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
haddon90 (1630) - Newport Beach, California, USA - OCT 15, 2003
When I first saw it I thought it was Guiness from the nitrogenated head. Not much of a porter at all...some of the taste reminds me of one. Deep black pour. Some chocolate from the taste...maybe some coffee as well. Not that great of a porter though. On tap at the Beer Sellar in Knoxville, TN.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
fiulijn (19824) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 21, 2006
Dark brown color. Simple beer with an amount of caramel and roasted malt, but nothing special; quite dry.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
JonnyC22 (164) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - OCT 8, 2006
Brown. Flavorless, with the exception of some salty, wierd decaf flavor. Redhook is fairly legit, but this beer only helps forget about a bad Auburn loss.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
undsioux7 (872) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - DEC 2, 2006
Creamy head a little similar to guiness but just doesnt do anything for me. I wouldnt try again

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
cheap (5541) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 6, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2007 Hey porter! Hey porter! Born on 11/14/06 Black hook Red hook porter. Cant wait, just tasted a pretty crappy beer and I need to get my spirits up. Brown 12 oz bottle, pours really dark into my new coach steeler stein. The aroma has slight hints of coffee and roastyness in there, but just barely, nothing outstanding. The taste is initially a little bitter and there is no head, just a little froth on the top. Dark roasty flavors but not terribly offensive. Is than a roasting maltness I detect? Taste after taste the bitterness begins to slowly build. Decent creamy carbonation on the taste buds back there in my throat. A very interesting kind of dark beer. Enjoyable, but any beer is enjoyable. My uvula is having some thoughts of a medium bitterness that is hanging on and lingering.