overall
RATINGS: 1626   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Redhook ESB is modeled after the premium Extra Special Bitters found in English pubs. Brewed since 1987, this full-bodied amber ale is Redhook’s signature brew with its toasted malt flavor and pleasant finishing sweetness. Its eminently drinkable style has established Redhook ESB as a benchmark brew in the amber ale category. The well-rounded finish of Redhook ESB makes it a wonderful companion to grilled meats. It is also great with game and cheeses. Available year round.

Style: Amber
ABV: 5.8%
Malts: Pale, Caramel, Carapils
Hops: Alchemy, Willamette, Centennial, Crystal
Color SRM: 13
Bitterness Units: 28.0 IBU
Original Gravity: 13.75 degrees plato
Brewed Since: 1987
Medals: 2008 North American Beer Awards Gold Medal Winner, 2009 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal Winner

jgb9348 (6474) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - SEP 19, 2003
Slightly hazy orange colour with a slight amber tint. 1 centimetre tall off-white head comprised of small bubbles. Very nice perfumey and slightly subtle american and english hop aroma with a prominent malt backbone and a slight sweet smell. Medium-bodied; Tastes of hops and malt are both present and make up most of the taste. Aftertaste a bit sweet and show a very slight residual hop flavour. Overall, this is not good for the style and really isn't worth trying even though it's available everywhere! I bought this twelve ounce bottle at Total Wine in Chantilly, Virginia and sampled it on 11-September-2003.

Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 18, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2003 Had this on draft at Sunset's in Wayzata. The color was a semi deep amber with some head. It was served too cold (no suprise) to get a good taste, but it seemed well balanced and not as hopped as I had hoped. However, I did get a 6 at Blue Max to try at home. Home bottle taste update - not as much with this beer as I anticipated but it is very drinkable.

kwoeltje (2234) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - SEP 16, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2008 (draught) slightly reddish amber. Not much head. Not much flavor up front--bitter hops finish with metallic aftertaste. Not as good as I remember it.

Uglyradio (790) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - SEP 16, 2003
Pours a clear, deep amber color with a white head that does not linger. Aroma of hops, with some piney and grapefruit notes. Medium body with moderate carbonation and a crisp mouthfeel. The flavor is hoppy with lots of citrus and pine up front and a big, lingering hoppy finish that has a nice underlying malty sweetness. Not bad at all, a great ESB.

Sham (1844) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 16, 2003
Pours a light copper with little head. Some malt in the nose, some caramel. Small bitterness in the flavor and finsih. Not bitter enough.

OD40oz (774) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - SEP 3, 2003
UPDATED: APR 19, 2004 I liked this way more than that crappy ass Red Hook IPA. I would consider buying this again but I prefer many different amber ales to this one.

JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - AUG 30, 2003
Amber colored body with a small, off-white head. Fine smell of strong hops and spice. I was really surprised when I took a sip of this. I tasted both anise and mint in the background of the bitter and sour hops. This caught me off guard and was really good. Odd thing about this beer is that the more I drank of it, the more it began to taste like a boring IPA. Aftertaste is bitter hops. I really can’t explain where the interesting flavors came from so I will most likely have to try this beer again. I recommend this beer for a try, if not for the out of the ordinary flavors, then for it being just a solid beer.

Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 29, 2003
Nice amber color, creamy head. Rich, smooth, malty toffee flavor with a dry and ever so nice mild bitter finish. English style bitters aren't my favorite, but this one is a good representation of the style. The best Redhook has to offer IMO. A delicious beer, but I would increase the bittering hops at the finish a bit if I were Redhook.

microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 29, 2003
A clear dark gold hue with a white head. The aroma is a touch sweet with some matiness and hops. The flavor is bitter up front with some malt that is sweet with caramel.

badgerben (5316) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - AUG 22, 2003
I had hoped for more out of this. It had that metallic tang. I'll give it another try because I thought for sure it would be at least okay.