overall
RATINGS: 1661   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Redhook ESB is modeled after the premium Extra Special Bitters found in English pubs. Brewed since 1987, this full-bodied amber ale is Redhook’s signature brew with its toasted malt flavor and pleasant finishing sweetness. Its eminently drinkable style has established Redhook ESB as a benchmark brew in the amber ale category. The well-rounded finish of Redhook ESB makes it a wonderful companion to grilled meats. It is also great with game and cheeses. Available year round.

Style: Amber
ABV: 5.8%
Malts: Pale, Caramel, Carapils
Hops: Alchemy, Willamette, Centennial, Crystal
Color SRM: 13
Bitterness Units: 28.0 IBU
Original Gravity: 13.75 degrees plato
Brewed Since: 1987
Medals: 2008 North American Beer Awards Gold Medal Winner, 2009 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal Winner

JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - AUG 30, 2003
Amber colored body with a small, off-white head. Fine smell of strong hops and spice. I was really surprised when I took a sip of this. I tasted both anise and mint in the background of the bitter and sour hops. This caught me off guard and was really good. Odd thing about this beer is that the more I drank of it, the more it began to taste like a boring IPA. Aftertaste is bitter hops. I really can’t explain where the interesting flavors came from so I will most likely have to try this beer again. I recommend this beer for a try, if not for the out of the ordinary flavors, then for it being just a solid beer.

Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 29, 2003
Nice amber color, creamy head. Rich, smooth, malty toffee flavor with a dry and ever so nice mild bitter finish. English style bitters aren't my favorite, but this one is a good representation of the style. The best Redhook has to offer IMO. A delicious beer, but I would increase the bittering hops at the finish a bit if I were Redhook.

microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 29, 2003
A clear dark gold hue with a white head. The aroma is a touch sweet with some matiness and hops. The flavor is bitter up front with some malt that is sweet with caramel.

badgerben (5130) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - AUG 22, 2003
I had hoped for more out of this. It had that metallic tang. I'll give it another try because I thought for sure it would be at least okay.

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - AUG 17, 2003
Draft. A very safe choice. Not much head, coppery amber appearance. Served too cold. Once it warmed up a bit, aroma of general hoppiness. Taste was hoppy, but not overpowering. Not as sweet as some ESB's, which I consider a good thing. Not spectacular, but enjoyable for the style.

whiterabbit81 (244) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - AUG 14, 2003
It's quite good and a beautiful looking brew. Very well balanced with a slight bitterness and a good amount of malt. An all around good beer.

EKGoldings (664) - Radford, Virginia, USA - AUG 9, 2003
I buy this regularly on tap, one of my favorite readily available beers around these parts. Medium amber color with nice head, disappears largely after a minute or so. I often get yeast in the nose along with moderate malt and a hint of hop. Taste is a mix of malt, toffee, hop bitterness and spice. A nicely balanced beer.

beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - AUG 9, 2003
Color is a clear yellowy amber with a inch high head of off-white spongy foam that settles down slowly to leave spots of lace. Smell is faint of roasty malts kinda breadish like soft pretzels with a nice light dry hop backing. Taste is toasty malts and dry hops, balanced together well, a slight bread tone to the malts with a note of saltyness/nutty and a small bitterness lingers from the hops thats quite easy to handle and favors some herbal qualities and dryness. Feel is close to medium with a small kick just past midway. Not a bad ESB, I'd have it again if offered. So far one of the better beers I've had from Redhook.

jerkadilly74 (155) - mooresville, Indiana, USA - AUG 7, 2003
Hoppy nose, lots of carbonation, an almost floral finish. Not as thick as I would have liked it to be, but nonetheless, a decent bitter especially for the price.

JFGrind (2043) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 6, 2003
Opening sentence on the bottle's description needs to be changed to the following; "Red Hook ESB is a far from rich, 1/3 full amber crafted in the style of a premium ale." $1.39 a bottle at the World Market in Seattle, WA.