overall
RATINGS: 1640   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Redhook ESB is modeled after the premium Extra Special Bitters found in English pubs. Brewed since 1987, this full-bodied amber ale is Redhook’s signature brew with its toasted malt flavor and pleasant finishing sweetness. Its eminently drinkable style has established Redhook ESB as a benchmark brew in the amber ale category. The well-rounded finish of Redhook ESB makes it a wonderful companion to grilled meats. It is also great with game and cheeses. Available year round.

Style: Amber
ABV: 5.8%
Malts: Pale, Caramel, Carapils
Hops: Alchemy, Willamette, Centennial, Crystal
Color SRM: 13
Bitterness Units: 28.0 IBU
Original Gravity: 13.75 degrees plato
Brewed Since: 1987
Medals: 2008 North American Beer Awards Gold Medal Winner, 2009 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal Winner

redhooked (1) - USA - MAY 7, 2006 does not count
By far this is my favorite beer. It is now getting distributed around the continent with some popularity. It was just in Gre’s Anatomy. This beer is crisp and when it is fresh/cold it can’t be beat. It gives you character. All the styles out of redhook are phenominal. ESB is a classic.

ericmoss3799 (73) - Warwick, Rhode Island, USA - OCT 11, 2001
This beer is well above average, but it is the only ESB I have ever tried. That makes it hard to compare to other ESB’s.

toad6399 (3) - Washington, USA - APR 22, 2002 does not count
I recently visted the Red Hook Brewery in Woodinville, WA. That was my first taste of Red Hook ESB and I must say that I was very impressed.

Treehugger (8) - Salida, Colorado, USA - OCT 31, 2002 does not count
Yummmm. Great balance of malt and hops. Not extra Bitter, just Extra Special.

rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 17, 2001
This beer use to be my favorite ESB until I discovered Fuller’s ESB, I have to admit that this beer holds its own against Fuller’s. Fortunately I live just minutes from where its brewed and am able to get the freshest beer whenever possible. The beautiful bitterness and smoothness that this beer has and the aftertaste is superb. Redhook certainly puts out fine products. This and their wheat beer as far as I’m concerned really hold there own against competitors.

SpockTheater (49) - Louisiana, USA - NOV 29, 2002
On tap, this would have to be my favorite amber. Very crisp, and unique flavor. I love the sweet taste at the end.

toucan4can (1) - USA - FEB 12, 2003 does not count
I love the creamy dairy notes in this one. Caramel, caramel, caramel. Another good bottled stand-by.

timetrvlr (8) - milford, Connecticut, USA - JAN 27, 2005 does not count
good head strong palate with just the right bitterness for me. very drinkable and has become my personal standby when i cannot find something affordable in an ale or stout.

lmubeertrainer (3) - USA - JAN 4, 2007 does not count
Full bodied beer. Great flavor. At first it has an overpowering flavor, but once you taste it....you are hooked!

forrestjohnson (2) - , Washington, USA - SEP 29, 2008 does not count
One of the best beers redhook has to offer, sweet taste, not too bitter, nice fruity/honey aroma, very nice to drink in quantity.