overall
RATINGS: 1640   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Redhook ESB is modeled after the premium Extra Special Bitters found in English pubs. Brewed since 1987, this full-bodied amber ale is Redhook’s signature brew with its toasted malt flavor and pleasant finishing sweetness. Its eminently drinkable style has established Redhook ESB as a benchmark brew in the amber ale category. The well-rounded finish of Redhook ESB makes it a wonderful companion to grilled meats. It is also great with game and cheeses. Available year round.

Style: Amber
ABV: 5.8%
Malts: Pale, Caramel, Carapils
Hops: Alchemy, Willamette, Centennial, Crystal
Color SRM: 13
Bitterness Units: 28.0 IBU
Original Gravity: 13.75 degrees plato
Brewed Since: 1987
Medals: 2008 North American Beer Awards Gold Medal Winner, 2009 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal Winner

spicedad2 (78) - Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 16, 2003
An exceptional ale. RH is well balanced while being not-too-heavy. It's one of the best american ales that I have had.

BeerManDan (21) - Houghton, Michigan, USA - JAN 28, 2003
I thought that it would be a lot heavier, but still very good. Good bitter taste, nice lasting head.

bizzutch6 (4) - St Pete, Florida, USA - SEP 17, 2004 does not count
I live in the Tampa Bay area, when I attend Devil Ray games (more reason to drink) I’m fairly convinced that this is on tap under the name of "Devil Ray Red". Sturdy flavor, has a good punch, after just a few you could care less how the Rays are doing.

wobblestik99 (2) - California, USA - OCT 4, 2001 does not count
i really enjoy this well crafted beer.

beb5000 (23) - Avon, Connecticut, USA - DEC 20, 2002
Just the right amount of bitterness and malt. I really like this beer.

djbuddha (90) - Many, Louisiana, USA - FEB 11, 2003
Oh, how I love this beer. Poured an incredible amber color. The Smell was great, all leading up to an excellent taste. Definately something I'm going to be drinking on a regular basis.

splink48 (35) - Fayetteville, Georgia, USA - JAN 7, 2005
This esb was definately not what I had expected, but I was not disappointed. It tasted quite sweet.

awebster (165) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 31, 2005
A great bitter in my book. Good hop character with a clean finish, not overbearing dryness. Copperish/amber appearance. Delightful!

cmc619 (501) - California, USA - JUL 6, 2011
I’ve been drinking this beer basically since I’ve been a craft beer drinker, but I haven’t rated it, and I haven’t had it in a while. The ESB smells like a brewery: seriously, it smells like mash (in a good way, of course). Color is copper to light brown. Head is perfect, consistent, and persistent. Mouthfeel silky smooth. Flavor is rich caramel sweetness with a fresh hop kick--really a mild bitterness in the finish, but great hop flavor/aroma. Overall, this beer demonstrates outstandingly drinkable depth of flavor while retaining a beautiful balance. I’m surprised how much I like this, as for a while I had passed it off as boring. I guess it’s a classic of American craft for a reason.