overall
RATINGS: 906   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Winterhook is Redhooks legendary winter ale, brewed annually since 1984. Crafted with an evolving mix of malts and hops, each yearly edition of Winterhook is one-of-a-kind. Winterhooks dark colors and bold flavors make it the perfect winter warmer for frosty weather.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 26, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 26, 2003 {2003 update: Very similar to the 2002, but fresher. More pronounced hop aroma and no trace of the vinegar in the finish. Delightful and I've updated my ratings accordingly.} 2002 Bottling. Poured dark reddish-amber with minimal off-white head. Aroma is smokey malts, a little spice, wood and grassy hops. Flavor has a nice malt base balanced with generous hops, there is a slight vinegar flavor in the finish that's a little distracting from the otherwise nice taste. Medium body and creamy carbonation. One of Redhook's better offerings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
archstanton (105) - mukilteo, Washington, USA - OCT 20, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2005 very dark brown/almond colored with a sharp bitter bite at first then after a few sips this hop infested brew tastes great..very good..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BckDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - SEP 9, 2003
A nice bark (fir) colored ruby. Head is creamy at first but does dissipate quickly. Appears like a well aged beer. This was the 2002 bottle. Aroma is full of pine and raisin, light hops and sweet caramel malt. Flavor is semi-sweet but the aging has done wonders for this one. It is smooth and mild, like a session strong ale. This was a surprise beer, I found it in a store hidden from view a year after release covered in dust!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 1, 2003
Interesting taste, but not that good. Somewhat fruity...not expected in a beer this dark.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - AUG 10, 2003
I'm not sure what they were trying for with this one. It smelled a bit like a barleywine and vaguely tasted like one. But I didn't really enjoy it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BBB63 (6557) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 10, 2003
The last of a sixer, but the first time drinking it while a member of RateBeer. I truly enjoy this beer. Balanced, complex yet no part of it is aggressive. It's hoppy, spicy, and earthy nature makes it a great nightcap to an evening of good beer, good food, and good friends. Still when I see the Redhook label, it first thing to come to mind is A-B.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 1, 2003
I enjoyed this beer greatly even though I tried it in late July. The taste was very well balanced and I will have to pick up some more this upcoming winter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - JUN 23, 2003
I really enjoyed the 2002 version of this. Brownish-red color with a short lived head. Smells of hops and spices. Refreshingly splashes the tongue with crisp hop flavors, late-harvest fruits, and well pronounced clove, pumpkin spice and allspice flavors. Detectable bitterness and subdued spiciness make up the after palate. One of my winter favorites. I cant wait to purchase a 2003 6-pack and watch a NFL Sunday double-header.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - MAY 17, 2003
Nice amber color.Small but long lasting head.Aroma malty sweet,with a hint of hop's.Malty sweet taste,nicely hopped but a little thin in the feel,some what watery.nice after taste,that is mildly spicy with a nice hop bite.pretty decent brew but definately not my favorite.There are better ale's out there.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
foduck (330) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 11, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2003 Mediocre beer. Tasted like a watered down Fullers 1845. Not impressive. Malty flavor, some fruitiness. Weak palate and aroma. Of all the creative things they could do with a winter beer, they choose this. I suppose a lot of my disappointment is because of the packaging though. I get excited when I see "Winter Ale". Re-rate 10/24/03: WOW! Big improvement. Hops, bitterness! A good surprise. The best Redhook I've had. I think they changed their recipe for the better. Hoppy finish.