overall
RATINGS: 905   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Winterhook is Redhook’s legendary winter ale, brewed annually since 1984. Crafted with an evolving mix of malts and hops, each yearly edition of Winterhook is one-of-a-kind. Winterhook’s dark colors and bold flavors make it the perfect winter warmer for frosty weather.

kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - DEC 15, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2003 Malty unspiced very dark winter ale.

cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - DEC 15, 2002
Mediocre strong ale. Nothing that makes this a holiday brew...where is the special spice?

grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 14, 2002
Lackluster. Nothing distinguishing about this beer; can’t believe they’re trying to pass this off as a special holiday beer. Bitter malts accented by vomity hops. Strong metallic aftertaste. Pours a toasted amber with virtually no head. I was not impressed.

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 14, 2002
Tastes vaguely english, but with american hops, to me. Not particularly spiced, which is fine, but not particularly anything special at all. Sort of a lackluster beer, particularly for the holiday season, where brewers tend to bring out something very special for us dedicated drunkards... I’m not very impressed with Redhook so far.

jazz88 (2675) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 11, 2002
Bottle of the 2002 vintage. Copper to brown color with a tan head. Malty and a little sweet with little flavor and very thin.

Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 10, 2002
In my opinion, an average beer. I’ve had better, I’ve had worse. Next time I buy something, I’ll buy something else.

Terminus (3676) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 10, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2003 2003 bottle-i like what red hook did with this one. The dry hop aroma is definately present, but the hops in the palate are lacking. Now, they need to do some more dry hopping and experiment with some of their other brews. ReRate-on tap-old chicago-rockford, IL-Im not going to change the rating that i have on this one because IMO, it is better than many English Strong Ale offerings for christmas(Capital and Summit are very dissapointing). One of red hook's better brews.

BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - DEC 9, 2002
I got all excited about this one last year (3.8) but what can I say, I was young. Pretty much a sweeter stronger version of their ESB with a touch of spice although not enough to put it among the best of the season.

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - DEC 9, 2002
always had higher hopes for this one - even after the AB aquisition. Not bad at all. usually go for a 12 pack on sale. and then that’s more than enough.

belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - DEC 9, 2002
Slight malt aroma with a hint of caramel. Nice smooth body with a minimal amount of spice. An easy drinking brew.