overall
RATINGS: 892   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Winterhook is Redhook’s legendary winter ale, brewed annually since 1984. Crafted with an evolving mix of malts and hops, each yearly edition of Winterhook is one-of-a-kind. Winterhook’s dark colors and bold flavors make it the perfect winter warmer for frosty weather.

soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - DEC 20, 2002
Its not what I'm expecting from a winter ale. Its more like an IPA to me because of the strong, and somewhat bitter hops taste, which I'm really not that fond of. I've bought IPA's before and some of them are enjoyable when I'm in the right mood for them, but this one has a hops taste that doesn't have alot of character and reminds me more of soap. But its definitely drinkable. I can easily finish this six pack, and if someone gives me some, I'll happily consume that as well, but I probably won't buy any more of it, because its just not that memorable to me, and its not what I envision as a winter ale, which is usually less better.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - DEC 19, 2002
Light malt nose with hints of grain. Aroma is fairly nondescript. Small, fizzy, off-white head with fair lace. Clear, medium bodied amber color. Flavor is lightly bitter initially, stronger in the finish. Strongly malty, a little too malty. Finishes very nicely...with a good dose of hops. Very pleasant, though nothing spectacular.

bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Not as quite as spicey as I have come to expect from winter brews. A decent reddish brown color pour with a quickly dissapating head. Slight spice in the aroma and flavor - just not enough!

Dogbrick (13751) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 18, 2002
2002 bottle: I wasn't expecting too much from this one and I was not let down. It definitely needs to warm a little for any flavor to come through. Pours a dark amber color with minimal head and lace. Aroma is lightly matly and spicy. Flavor is slightly nutty with a little butterscotch or caramel but overall it is thin. Not as robust as I like my winter ales.

kwoeltje (2234) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - DEC 15, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2003 Malty unspiced very dark winter ale.........................................

cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - DEC 15, 2002
Mediocre strong ale. Nothing that makes this a holiday brew...where is the special spice?

grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 14, 2002
Lackluster. Nothing distinguishing about this beer; can't believe they're trying to pass this off as a special holiday beer. Bitter malts accented by vomity hops. Strong metallic aftertaste. Pours a toasted amber with virtually no head. I was not impressed.

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 14, 2002
Tastes vaguely english, but with american hops, to me. Not particularly spiced, which is fine, but not particularly anything special at all. Sort of a lackluster beer, particularly for the holiday season, where brewers tend to bring out something very special for us dedicated drunkards... I'm not very impressed with Redhook so far.

jazz88 (2699) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 11, 2002
Bottle of the 2002 vintage. Copper to brown color with a tan head. Malty and a little sweet with little flavor and very thin.

Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 10, 2002
In my opinion, an average beer. I've had better, I've had worse. Next time I buy something, I'll buy something else.