overall
RATINGS: 896   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Winterhook is Redhook’s legendary winter ale, brewed annually since 1984. Crafted with an evolving mix of malts and hops, each yearly edition of Winterhook is one-of-a-kind. Winterhook’s dark colors and bold flavors make it the perfect winter warmer for frosty weather.

flylikeabanana (179) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - DEC 20, 2012
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2013 This is a nice take on a winter red ale, dark amber with a milky head. Notes of caramel, citrus, toffee and still rather hoppy too.

JDUB (178) - Venice Beach, California, USA - NOV 25, 2007
not bad for a grab-and-go sixer. Deep amber hue, mild hop flavor with a sweet aftertaste.

muteprint (176) - Olympia, Washington, USA - OCT 17, 2010
Caramel malts. Harsh finish. Completely average beer. DIdn’t expect much more from a red hook brew.

aenimopiate (176) - The United States of Texas, Texas, USA - MAR 28, 2011
Pours a darker copper color with a thin tan head that hangs around for a bit. Taste is nothing too remarkable...thin malt and hops. Has a strange coppery like aftertaste that is just plain weird. It doesn’t taste like I just drank a beer... Not one of my favorites.

Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 10, 2002
In my opinion, an average beer. I’ve had better, I’ve had worse. Next time I buy something, I’ll buy something else.

FlyingSwine (174) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - JAN 3, 2009
12 oz. Pours a beautiful mohogany amber/brown, slightly cloudy with a thin off-white head. No lacing. Aroma is light, mainly pine hops. Flavor is light and fairly well balanced, but noticably more balanced towards the hops side. Roasted malts with earthy hops dominates the flavor. Palate is medium and slightly dry. Highly drinkable, but not great.

DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - NOV 14, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2006 This clear dark amber ale has a foamy tan head that lasts a fairly long time and leaves some impressive lacing in its wake. The thing I love most about Red Hook ales is that they are not pasteurized and that leads to a fresh homebrewed aroma. The problem is that they taste a little too much like average homebrew for them to garner higher ratings. This ale has decent alcohol content but I prefer to see a wee bit more in a winter beer. Flavors of roasted malts fill the palate and leave an aftertaste similar to espresso. I definitely like the bitter hops on the back end but I wish that this beer had a more substantial mouth feel a bit more complexity. Overall I would definitely buy and drink this winter ale again and I am convinced that with some tweaking of the recipe Red Hook Winterhook ale could become one of the top winter beers produced in this great country. (Note Added 1-9-06): I guess they did tweak the recipe after all because I tried this again last night and had my mind and palate completely blown. This beer pours like a moonlit Christmas Eve and tastes like a strong winter ale should. It was warming and delicious. I’m updating my overall impression from 15 to 18 bringing the total score from 3.6 up to 3.9. I will definately try this one again next year.

optemoz (171) - Apex, North Carolina, USA - NOV 25, 2006
Bottle - Pours a copper red.... Nose is strong hops and citrus.... Taste is rather grassy and bready... Not a big fan of IPA style winter brews .. but its decent

truegen (167) - Puyallup, Washington, USA - OCT 2, 2007
12 oz. bottle. This was better, once upon a time. Sample from the first batch into the local market, and I’m feeling let down. This is more like a summer ale than winter. The color is lighter, the nose and flavor more citrusy than in years past, and there doesn’t seem to be anything "roasty" about this beer at all. This is the ESB with a fake suntan. I like the ESB, and this is a drinkable beer, but there’s no Winter in this Hook.

delacerveza (166) - Florida, USA - DEC 23, 2002
clear copper, light but clinging head. tinny aroma. the first sip, i was like "ew, tastes like amber bock mixed with bud", but after it sat out for a while it wasn’t as bad as i initially thought. not spicy at all, but a nice malty flavor. fizzy but somewhat watery palate. it’ll do in a pinch i suppose.