overall
RATINGS: 896   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Winterhook is Redhook’s legendary winter ale, brewed annually since 1984. Crafted with an evolving mix of malts and hops, each yearly edition of Winterhook is one-of-a-kind. Winterhook’s dark colors and bold flavors make it the perfect winter warmer for frosty weather.

NWHopHead99 (58) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - FEB 14, 2002
Ouch! This beer was very sour and bitter, but not in a good way. Not the best winter ale, for sure. It has the dichotemy of being kind of spicey, but flat at the same time. This beer has the base elemental tastes the Chinook uses, but the Chinook has a better hop aroma, more intriguing quality, and definatly more substance to the flavour.

Heat99 (56) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 18, 2001
A very thick head and a clear amber hue. This beer has a surprisingly spicy sweet kick. The spice flows in the aroma too. In general, I liked it quite a bit...but a little to strong flavored for me. I feel it would kill my palate after one or two.

dslunsford1 (55) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - DEC 28, 2007
Smells somewhat musky, but has a great spicy taste that is signature of a good winter brew. Can definitely taste the hops that gives this beer it’s bold start but lingering finish.

lmahony199 (52) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - OCT 20, 2001
Very good, very spicy and only $6 a six pack.

Cutlass (51) - Galloway, Ohio, USA - MAR 1, 2002
an excellent beer. not as good as sam adams, or Great Lakes Christmas Ale, but it is inexpensive

BrownDogBeer (50) - Portland, Oregon, USA - NOV 20, 2008
12 oz bottle. Pours dark amber with a white head. Aroma of pine with some citrus . Has a medeum body with a slighty malty finish. Has a decent hop profile. Not as dark and heavy as i would like in a winter beer. It coms of more like a hoppy ESB.

koatis (50) - Maryland, USA - NOV 24, 2003
This is a really nice seasonal entry from the folks at Redhook. Not crazy strong like a lot of winter brews. Hops at the start remind me of Flying Dog Pale, but the finish is much stronger and balanced. Check it out if you can get it.

sandygoonie (48) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 1, 2006
A decent amber with fruity esters and a light ctirus hop nose candy. Very big carmel taste and warm mouth palape. Some type of spices finish off this decent beer

ericsondr (48) - Camano Island, Alabama, USA - OCT 24, 2009
Very subtle aroma... very subtle flavor. Slight orange-like spicy notes with a medium-ish body.

soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - DEC 20, 2002
Its not what I’m expecting from a winter ale. Its more like an IPA to me because of the strong, and somewhat bitter hops taste, which I’m really not that fond of. I’ve bought IPA’s before and some of them are enjoyable when I’m in the right mood for them, but this one has a hops taste that doesn’t have alot of character and reminds me more of soap. But its definitely drinkable. I can easily finish this six pack, and if someone gives me some, I’ll happily consume that as well, but I probably won’t buy any more of it, because its just not that memorable to me, and its not what I envision as a winter ale, which is usually less better.