overall
RATINGS: 902   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 2, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2003 Not very strong for an english strong ale. Boring malty flavor. Nothing special here.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - NOV 24, 2002
Very sour kind of bitter, unpleasant actually. I drank this while watching UW upset No.3 WSU, and being from Pullman maybe this was Seattles way of saying "dont drink our goddamn beer if you our rooting for the other team." Well, just like the Huskies, beer too can have a bad season.

Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 10, 2002
In my opinion, an average beer. Ive had better, Ive had worse. Next time I buy something, Ill buy something else.

cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - DEC 15, 2002
Mediocre strong ale. Nothing that makes this a holiday brew...where is the special spice?

jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - JAN 14, 2003
Clear, copper/amber with quickly diminishing head, decent lace. Grainy aroma with fruit, spice and slight hops. Thin to medium bodied, slick feel with flavors of slight roast, nasty fruit flavors, slight spice, metallic hops, light malt that is not bad but this puppy doesnt do it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - NOV 25, 2003
Medium red/dark amber with a small to negligible head. Nice hop nose with hints of your traditional spices (which may or may not be in this "strong ale")and maybe some fruit. The body is pretty thin, and this isn't a warming beer--which is the point of winterfest ales--to warm you up. The mouthfeel is thin--a nice malt/hop finish.

maxwillis (5) - Prescott, Arizona, USA - DEC 7, 2003 does not count
I didn't think it was all that great. the ESB is still much better. The brew just isn't the same since I left seattle. For a couple months I had a tower of red hook cases in the coner of my room. they each had a coupon for a tour of the brewery, I never did make it.

pintsize (1042) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 9, 2008
2-8-08 bottle.
Clear orange amber with little head and okay lacing. Smell is average - nothing really there at all. Metallic and bland with a slight hint of lemon in the flavor and a nice lemon citris bite too. Not horrible - just nothing too memorable and not at all what I would imagine and English Strong Ale to be - that seems really strange to me

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JMerritt (1941) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - DEC 2, 2002
Spicy flavor, moderately bitter immediate aftertaste. Hardly a robust winter ale.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - DEC 20, 2002
Its not what Im expecting from a winter ale. Its more like an IPA to me because of the strong, and somewhat bitter hops taste, which Im really not that fond of. Ive bought IPAs before and some of them are enjoyable when Im in the right mood for them, but this one has a hops taste that doesnt have alot of character and reminds me more of soap. But its definitely drinkable. I can easily finish this six pack, and if someone gives me some, Ill happily consume that as well, but I probably wont buy any more of it, because its just not that memorable to me, and its not what I envision as a winter ale, which is usually less better.