overall
RATINGS: 891   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Winterhook is Redhook’s legendary winter ale, brewed annually since 1984. Crafted with an evolving mix of malts and hops, each yearly edition of Winterhook is one-of-a-kind. Winterhook’s dark colors and bold flavors make it the perfect winter warmer for frosty weather.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 2, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2003 Not very strong for an english strong ale. Boring malty flavor. Nothing special here.

drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - NOV 24, 2002
Very sour kind of bitter, unpleasant actually. I drank this while watching UW upset No.3 WSU, and being from Pullman maybe this was Seattle's way of saying "don't drink our goddamn beer if you our rooting for the other team." Well, just like the Huskies, beer too can have a bad season.

jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - JAN 14, 2003
Clear, copper/amber with quickly diminishing head, decent lace. Grainy aroma with fruit, spice and slight hops. Thin to medium bodied, slick feel with flavors of slight roast, nasty fruit flavors, slight spice, metallic hops, light malt that is not bad but this puppy doesn't do it.

wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - NOV 25, 2003
Medium red/dark amber with a small to negligible head. Nice hop nose with hints of your traditional spices (which may or may not be in this "strong ale")and maybe some fruit. The body is pretty thin, and this isn't a warming beer--which is the point of winterfest ales--to warm you up. The mouthfeel is thin--a nice malt/hop finish.

maxwillis (5) - Prescott, Arizona, USA - DEC 7, 2003 does not count
I didn't think it was all that great. the ESB is still much better. The brew just isn't the same since I left seattle. For a couple months I had a tower of red hook cases in the coner of my room. they each had a coupon for a tour of the brewery, I never did make it.

soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - DEC 20, 2002
Its not what I'm expecting from a winter ale. Its more like an IPA to me because of the strong, and somewhat bitter hops taste, which I'm really not that fond of. I've bought IPA's before and some of them are enjoyable when I'm in the right mood for them, but this one has a hops taste that doesn't have alot of character and reminds me more of soap. But its definitely drinkable. I can easily finish this six pack, and if someone gives me some, I'll happily consume that as well, but I probably won't buy any more of it, because its just not that memorable to me, and its not what I envision as a winter ale, which is usually less better.

Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2003
Pours a light brown color with little head. The aroma is rather bland and weak. The flavor has some strong, boring malt flavors. Not much complexity or balance. Rather uneventful I must say.

Panzuriel (2324) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAR 10, 2003
Mildly disappointing ale. A little whimpy and run of the mill for a winter ale. Amber-brown. No head. Decent aroma and flavor. Nothing special. texture also middle of the road.

beermoose (25) - Blainville, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 24, 2003
Brown Beer, Nice foaming, with a nice aroma of caramel and hops. I found it mild and closer to a brown ale than anything else. When drinking it, everything seems to be blended not letting anything special come out.

kujo9 (1095) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - NOV 24, 2003
Off white/light tan head on a light copper body, but it just doesn't stick around very long. Herbal hop aroma, but it lacks a malt presence in the nose as an English Strong ale should. But at 5.58% ABV, it's not that strong! What little malt aroma there is seems caramelly with hints of roast and chocolate and only mildy fruity. Flavors seems rather sweet and lightly acidic, but well balanced with a hop flavor that dominates mid palate into the finish. A light fruitiness comes into the finish as well as it warms; The malt flavors seem muddled and one does not dominate over the others as in the aroma making this a fairly non complex winter brew. Medium bodied wiht moderately low carbonation and dry mouthfeel, borderline astringent. This isn't a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not terribly complex for what it's supposed to be. I can't say I'm not disappointed in this one.