overall
RATINGS: 906   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Winterhook is Redhooks legendary winter ale, brewed annually since 1984. Crafted with an evolving mix of malts and hops, each yearly edition of Winterhook is one-of-a-kind. Winterhooks dark colors and bold flavors make it the perfect winter warmer for frosty weather.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
paulmetzger (154) - Pocatello, Idaho, USA - JAN 5, 2009
Clear brown/amber. No head. Mild aroma, toffee if any. "Drinkable", I guess. Mild if any hops, slight metallic flavor. Won’t buy next year.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
jcnielsen (3399) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JAN 11, 2016
Bottle. Pours an amber color with white head. Caramel, toast, malty, slight booze aromas. Malty, toast, slight metallic flavors. Pretty blah, pass.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
igneous1 (1535) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - OCT 28, 2002
clear reddish-orange color, thin head dissipating almost immediately. aroma is a bit fruity with some apple and pear flavors. overall a thin beer, one id hardly call "robust"

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - NOV 4, 2002
Heavily heavily spiced. Extremely anisey with a fat sweet finish. Yuck.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
delacerveza (166) - Florida, USA - DEC 23, 2002
clear copper, light but clinging head. tinny aroma. the first sip, i was like "ew, tastes like amber bock mixed with bud", but after it sat out for a while it wasnt as bad as i initially thought. not spicy at all, but a nice malty flavor. fizzy but somewhat watery palate. itll do in a pinch i suppose.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BarePaw (148) - Pullman, Washington, USA - JAN 13, 2003
The head was thin and didnt last long. The feel on my palate wasnt impressive. It has a nice fruity flavor, but it isnt very strong. It isnt my favorite winter brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JFGrind (2035) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 4, 2003
I bought a case of this beer back in December and gave most of it out for Xmas beer to my friends and family. Nobody came back to me with any remarks on this beer. I put a few aside for myself and I was not impressed. Winterhook taste wise was a far cry from other English Strong Ales I've tried. Maybe it's the way the Yanks brew this style of beer because I was also not impressed by Weyebacher's Winter Ale, supposably another English Strong Ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - MAR 18, 2003
What the hell was this all about? I thought i bought myself a winter ale, not a wussy brown ale? Whattup guys??? So this thing poured a reddish brown mix..mostly amber with no head. The aroma was mildly malty, some hints of fruit, but nothing that said, smell me!!!! The taste was heavily malty, a lil' nutty, and all disappointing. It went down smoothly, with little carbonated value or any other exciting qualities. Truly boring. It may have had the slightest bit of spice, but given that it was so tiny, i could not distinguish it by any means. Wake me up when Redhook wakes up and listens to the fine beer drinkers of the world.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
scoobyluv (511) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - NOV 10, 2003
smells of a garbage can. dark amber color. slightly hoppy aftertaste but mostly watery. the aftertaste surely turns into some kind of funk though

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - DEC 9, 2003
A basic, fairly boring ale. Heavy hop flavoring that was most empty of anything else left me thoroughly dissatisfied. Addendum: One winterhook = one heavy hangover. Normally I'm immune to these, but man ... this one is bad. I'll never touch one of these again.