overall
Brewed by Privat-Brauerei Heinrich Reissdorf
Style: Kölsch
Cologne, Germany

RATINGS: 1105   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12/5   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Reissdorf Kölsch is the beer speciality from Cologne with a tradition starting 1894. A Kölsch with a pleasant, full-bodied, and uniquely light and sweet taste in premium quality, that is brewed for the adepts who prefer something special.

bikesandbeers (547) - san diego, California, USA - FEB 19, 2006
from a 5 litre party keg, courtsey of my neighbor who’s from the Koln area. This is my first kolsch, so I don’t really have a point of refference. Came out of the keg golden and bubbly, with a solid white head. Mlaty aroma. the flavor was very bready. I seriously thought for a moment that I was drinking rye bread. Interesting but not that enjoyable. I’ll have to see how other kolschs stack up.

Jabswitch (278) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 18, 2006
"Unsofisticat" hit it right on the head with the Jan 30th post. Bubbly, pale in color and taste. For the price, this was not a good experience. Pretty much a watery brew that can be topped by the standard macro brew. If you like taste, hops, citrus, sweetness, --please forget this one.

Lunkie (1965) - Glen Iris, AUSTRALIA - FEB 13, 2006
Sweet malt aroma with you could find it. Clear amber colour with fair head and lacing. Malt flavour with hops. Fizzy palate.

Ungstrup (38923) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - FEB 12, 2006
An orange beer with no head. The aroma is sweet malty and hoppy, while the flavor is malty combined with notes of caramel and bisquites, leading to a toffee’ish dry end.

jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - FEB 9, 2006
From a 500ml. euro brown bottle with no freshness date. Made a good appearance, poured a clear orange hued golden with a rocky white head that slowly reduced to a thin, bubbly lacing. Tasty aroma, honey and grapes, a grainy maltiness and a peppery hops. Good carbonation and a slick, crisp light bodied mouth feel, excellent drinkability. Had a sweet grape taste, a little vanilla, a soft grape fruity hoppiness in the middle, a soft bitterness, an underlining sweet pale maltiness and a dry, crisp grainy finish.

UnsofistaCat (241) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - JAN 30, 2006
Kolsch sucks. Over carbonated and tasteless. Very thin looking. Not much of a head. Maybe my buds just are’nt mature enough to pick up any of the proclaimed nuances but I swear Strohs has more taste.

TheBeerLover (1027) - DC Metro Area, USA - JAN 28, 2006
Reissdorf Kolsch pours to a beautiful, bright, pale golden color, with a short, bright white head, and a lively carbonation. There is a wonderful balance in the nose, subtle aromas of pale malt and hops marry with light, fruity/jammy aromas. The palate is soft and malty, with a backdrop of subtle estery fruit flavors, such as pear, and honey dew melon. The body is quite lean, making this a very drinkable, and social brew. Reissdorf Kolsch finishes with great balance, more malt and fruit flavors and then a slight hop bitterness. This is a delicate beer with subtle yet sublime flavors. Some beer geeks are not impressed with Kolsch, they do not appreciate its subtle flavors, and find it to be a bit over hyped and bland. I disagree, I think kolsch being so delicate, makes it all the more seductive. Reissdorf is a credible example of the style, and I really enjoy this beer, due to the fact that it, and Gaffel, are the only two examples of real kolsch on the US market. That being said, and now having been to Koln, my opinion of this beer has changed since I first tried it a few years ago. Reissdorf while enjoyable, is not a classic example of the style. Compared to the classic examples I tried in Koln, including Gaffel, Reissdorf is rather ordinary. Kolsch is one of those styles, that really has to be tasted at its source to be understood. A part of me loves the fact that I can get a real kolsch here, but another part of me thinks this beer style should never leave Germany. Available in 1/2 liter bottles for the past few years, it is now available in 4 pack 11.5 oz bottles in select US markets.

puzzl (3264) - New York, New York, USA - JAN 16, 2006
Light, lemony aroma, little completexity. A bit of vegetable smell, as well. Very pale, with a big white frothy head. Flavor is pretty thin, not much hopping at all, with a little fruityness. Palate works though.

vanvenlo (1923) - Glen Iris, AUSTRALIA - JAN 16, 2006
25 Nov 05 - Light sweet with some burnt malt. Clear yellow amber colour, plain head and suds lacing. Light sweet fruit tatste and low hop complexity. Thin mouthfeel with a hoppy finish. I guess I am not a fan of Kolschs, this beer leaves me a little uninspired.

Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - JAN 9, 2006
Poured from bottle into shaker glass. Pale gold body with a white fluffy head. Smells to me like your average BMC pale lager, except a LITTLE richer. Tasted like a boring lager, too. Body was a little more full and smooth. Kind of boring, but not offensive.