overall
Ridgeway
Brewed at Hepworth

Style: Barley Wine
South Stoke, England

RATINGS: 450   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"It turned out to be a case of mistaken identity, of course - wrong place at the wrong time...but Claus was soon back on the street with the polite apologies of the authorities - no questions asked. All’s well that ends well, surely, but still, the reporters wanted to know...it takes its toll, doesnt’t it? "Indeed" sighed Claus, "my elf is going crazy, and I fear I shall soon go crazy as well" And with that he hoisted a great flagon of his favorite barleywine-style ale, silently contemplating the future and straining to remember why he got into this particular line of work in the first place. Peter Scholey, Brewer.

Funknmilla (745) - Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 27, 2007
Copper in color, smells of bananas and sweet malts, fluffy beige head that stays around....fresh on the nose...over-ripe banana flavors, some alcohol, creamy yet full body...sweet notes throughout....this creation....bought it for the label, and well its a good friggin barley wine....sweet finish

DietPepsican (1591) - @ $13.99, Iowa, USA - DEC 26, 2007
pours a crystal clear amber with a thick white head. Aroma of malts and sugary candy...maybe a candy necklace? Flavor of a double heineken skunk with heavy white and brown sugar added. Bits of fruit, but I have no clue what. Did they throw in some used big league chew, and god, what flavor? Strong burn of alcohol. What is going on in this beer? I keep taking sips hoping to figure it out, but I don’t think that will work. Feels like razors of sugar cutting my tongue. Easily the worst barley wine I’ve ever drank.

leaparsons (10554) - Wigston, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - DEC 24, 2007
Bottle. Light brown and gold with a small head. Aromas are sweet caramel and brown sugar. Some peppery notes with evident alcohol. Flavours are brown sugar with lots of caramel. Spicy hops and alcohol follow. Quite clean in flavour with warming, some harsh, alcohol. Lip numbing but OK overall.

roder60 (1289) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2007
Pours nice clear amber color with offwhite froathy head. Aroma is mixed fruits and caramel with slight alcohol undertone. Flavor is very malty and caramely with some fruit presence and definite alcohol flavor. Overall, decent.

NJBeerman013 (1054) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - DEC 22, 2007
Bottle... Crystal clear amber in color with a pillowy white head - lots of lace. Aroma is very sweet with a strong nose of cane syrup. Flavor is very floral, sweet, almost cloying. There is a strong appearance of alcohol especially towards the finish. A very decent barley wine.

dwyerpg (6187) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - DEC 20, 2007
A decent aroma. Could use a lot more molasses. Has a strong alcohol presence. Almost tastes more like a malt liqour. A bit disappointing.

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - DEC 20, 2007
Decent stuff for a Christmas themed beer. It wasn’t quite what I was expecting, but for an inexpensive barleywine on a cold December evening...this will do. Aroma is very fruity. Almost like smelling a fruit salad, with no real discernable fruit...just...fruit. And sweetness...caramel. Appearance is medium orange in color with barely any head to speak of. Flavors were caramel, alcohol and that’s really about it. No real bitterness I could detect. Overall, final impressions were that it wasn’t bad. I might get another bottle next year if I see it, but if I don’t...oh well.

jercraigs (10374) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 19, 2007
Bottle @ Cole’s Christmas Tasting 2007. Amber body with a very small white head. Sweet alcoholic aroma, dry toasty malt, mild fruit. Similar flavour with mild fruity notes, rough grainy alcoholic finish. Average palate. Meh. Alcohol is actually surprisingly restrained considering its 10%

FatPhil (16102) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - DEC 16, 2007
500ml bottle Light orange, thin head. Phenolic and estery aroma - a bit pear-droppy. Very alcoholic, a bit harsh. Strong sticky bitter taste. Reminds me of the muck I used to add vodka to when I was 14 to get me there.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - DEC 11, 2007
In the bottle at the 2007 Crescent Moon Holiday Beer Tasting. Pours dark gold with a thin white head. A very clear beer. Deliciuos malty body with lots of caramel flavors. The ethanol burn is extreme. The hops are very smooth in this one. They seem evenly distributed. This might be my favorite English barleywine, but is certainly the best Ridgeway product I’ve had.