overall
Ridgeway
Brewed at Hepworth

Style: Barley Wine
South Stoke, England

RATINGS: 402   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
Bottle conditioned, Special;
Imperial Red Ale
"My goodness", muttered Claus, recalling his visit to the Institute, "the restrictive outerwear, the padded room-even padded Christmas tree ornaments. Horrifying! Yet the little chap seems happier than he’s ever been" Claus took a thoughtful sip of a most warming red ale. "Perhaps sanity is over-rated...Ho,Ho,Ho!"

mcbackus (758) - Merritt Island, Florida, USA - JAN 2, 2008
bottle: pours a clean amber brown colour with a small white head that lingers as a line. aroma is very caramelly with fresh tropical fruit and some sugars hints of hops. smells of candy. flavour is overly sweet with some alcohol burn. small amounts of the fresh fruit form the nose, but maily sweet sugars and alcohol.

20107589 (748) - randers, DENMARK - NOV 23, 2013
honey and licorice aromas, appear amber with a small head. great sweet and bitter taste, and a fine palate

Funknmilla (745) - Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 13, 2007
11.2oz bottle...Copper color, smells of alcohol...sweet alcohol...malts soaked in alcohol....the body has an initial sweetness, this blankets the high alcohol...the sweetness actually takes over almost all other flavors, I get a touch of vanilla and some heavy malt, bready quality...I like my bread dipped in alcohol, you?

1.3
gururyan (726) - Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA - APR 11, 2014
UPDATED: APR 12, 2014 Heavy alcohol taste, quite medicinal...not very good at all. Forcing it down. UPDATE: So just before I tried to finish the last inch of this crap in my glass, I began to feel feverish. My ears began to pound. Then my fingertips started to itch, beneath the skin. Before I knew it, I was writhing in discomfort and the palms of my hands were extremely itchy and tingly—under the skin. I had to run to the bathroom which is when I noticed I was breaking out with a bumpy rash all over my body. I was having an allergic reaction (and digestive reaction) to this aptly named beer. I know it was the beer because I hadn’t ingested anything other than water for 6 hours prior and felt great up until I got halfway through this "beer." I have sense learned I am allergic to really bad beer that tries to hide behind lame attempts at marketing. When will I learn to avoid gimmicky beer?…lesson learned. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Turboninja (710) - Tampere, FINLAND - DEC 2, 2016
[email protected] from Alko, Tampere, Finland. Strong, super boozy, sweet and a bit artificial flavor with raisin, sweet fruits and some malts. Simple though averagely balanced. Medium body with light/medium carbonation. Overall, clear but lo-fi product.

twindadplus2 (709) - Wisconsin, USA - FEB 5, 2011
Clear light reddish amber with a thin film of a head. Aroma of toffee, dry wine and a hint of apple skins. Flavor is thick, creamy toffee malt and an alcoholic bite. Full bodied with dry, fruity finish. A bit intense for a barley wine but it’s good and mellowing for a cold winter night.

Rynoplasty (700) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - NOV 17, 2009
2007 bottle. Pours clear amber with a small off white head. Aroma is caramel, dark fruit, almost sherry like. Flavor is big caramel and alcohol flavor, with hints of toffee and dark fruit, very low carbonation as well. Not bad.

The Etruscan (672) - Tuscany, ITALY - MAY 3, 2008
Light beige fast disappearing head. Deep amber-copper colour. Aroma is malty with caramel, nuts and light alcohol notes. Flavor is malty too with light caramel and raisins tones, ending in a moderately malty and slightly nutty finish. Full bodied.

ChazMania (669) - Oceanside, California, USA - DEC 8, 2007
Bottled. No head at all, very fizzy pour. Sweet aroma. Flavor is sweet. My bottle calls this an Imperial Red, but the label here on Ratebeer calls it a Barley wine, what gives?

TonyDiUlio (664) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 20, 2008
not as good as i was hoping. The aroma was too pungent, and the flavor was a bit too full of hops for a barely wine creating a bitter flavor. The color was nice with a dark red pour with moderate head. Not too bad for the alc. content.