overall
RATINGS: 590   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Ringwood’s beer brewed under licence in USA by Shipyard.

“A Beast of a Beer”

Old Thumper Extra Special Ale was created by veteran British brewer, Peter Austin, founder of Ringwood Brewery in Hampshire, England and mentor to Shipyard’s master brewer is a non-traditional English bitter, brewed in the US solely by Shipyard.

First Brewed: June 1992
Malt Style: 2-Row British Pale Ale, Crystal, Chocolate, Wheat
Yeast: Top-Fermenting English
Hops: Challenger, Progress, Goldings
Color: Light Copper
IBUs: 35
OG: 1.060

BeerLimey (2155) - California, USA - NOV 30, 2002
Light clear amber, moderate head formation. Vinous, berry fruitiness and wood shavings on the nose. Sweet almost candy like fruitiness on the palate. Good hoppy texture and grainy dryness throughout. A little thin and uninteresting.

aracauna (3683) - Georgia, USA - NOV 26, 2002
Head is sandy and slightly yellowish tint. Body is a pale copper. The aroma is lemon, butter and malt with the occasional wisp of butterscotch. The first sip is big toasty malt and caramel. Next sip is lemon with an earthy flavor. The third sip is water. The flavor is a bit thin after that, but not bad. Definite sting from the carbonation.

Aurelius (5572) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - OCT 30, 2002
Fruity aroma. Earthy, cidery and lightly carbonated from the tap that I had. Long, trailing tart finish. Warming.

jaymobrown (1845) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 22, 2002
CASK-CONDITIONED: As I try to peer through my beer stained notes, I notice that I wrote this is light in color with a lot of sweetness but well balanced with hops. Bitter, creamy, and smooth.

JoeM500 (1909) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 21, 2002
CASK-CONDITIONED VERSION: Baked apple nose with some grassy hops in there, as well. Velvety smooth with a sweet, warm fruitcake start that fades nicely into a grassy, dry hop end.

Allseeingeye (223) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 19, 2002
On Tap. Golden amber colored. Decent head flatens out pretty quick. Sweet fruit, yeast aroma. Something in the middle I can quite put my finger on. Kind of nutty. Finish is hoppy.

npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - OCT 8, 2002
The aroma and flavor of this beer are totally dominated by the buttered toast profile of diacetyl. Now, that might be a good thing to some people, but it's just not my cup of tea. There is a fairly sweet maltiness going on in there, and the uncomplicated hops leave a final bitternesst that's nice enough, but this is something I won't be revisiting.

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 3, 2002
This beer is brewed by the Shipyard Brewery under licence from the Ringwood brewery. the beer has an amber brown color and a medium thick head. the aroma is slightly sweet and malty with hints of fruit. the flavor is sweet and malty with nutty and hoppy undertones. the finish is dry and hoppy.

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - SEP 29, 2002
I was fortunate enough to order this casked, so I'm going to rate it based on that. A perfect bitter, period. Creamy white head, copper color, fruity and hoppy, with a touch of malt for the kill. I must have put a dent in the cask with how many of these I ordered. I know I sure as hell put a dent in my wallet. My only complaint is that you lose so much in the bottled version. Probably my favorite from Shipyard. The hog on the label looks so tough!

Hopistotle420 (1177) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 15, 2002
Golden amber hue. Nice lacing on beige head. Roasted aromas. Excellant maltiness, kinda woody at first, alcohol, then hop bitterness. A wonderfully balanced brew, definately worth trying. This is my favorite brew from those guys at shipyard. Cant beat the thump.