Rio Salado Thunderhead Schwarz Dark Lager

overall

RATINGS: 28   MEAN: 3.66/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.49/5   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.81%
A German-style Schwarz Bier (Schwarz meaning ’Black’), this Lager is dark and has a smooth, malty body. Starting with a combination of several dark-roasted malts, and then lightly hopped, this lager is rich and creamy. Its color is deceiving, its flavor is pleasing; so, don’t be afraid of the dark.

GEOBRAU (188) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - SEP 21, 2003
Not much in the way of aroma, malty, head gaveway pretty quickly. Flavor: roasted malt quickly gave way to sherry-like, slight sour finish.Much better black beers out there.

bbooth (115) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - APR 26, 2002
Deep brown in color. Roasty and chocolately in the nose. Sweet roasty start. Middle of the road body (not enough IMHO). Dry slight bitter finish.

bigbeersrule (113) - USA - JAN 30, 2004
A very full bodied Schwarz beer, not at all like Kostrizer. More like a porter without the bitterness. I like dark beers and big beers and this one is very drinkable but like other Rio Salado German beer style beers it is missing the crisp distinctive German character.

spydog (75) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - DEC 20, 2002
A bit thin but otherwise a nice roasty, chocolaty flavor.

dankitydancer (58) - Arizona, USA - NOV 15, 2003
nit a bad beer i love my local brews and this oine is a s good as it gets..a real dark headyt beer that packs a subtle punch and is frgrant to boot..im on my way to the sail inn gotta love tempe

hoped (18) - Arizona, USA - JUN 2, 2003
My first Schwarzbier. This opaque black brew crashes into my pint glass with a generous brown head. The aroma is sweet and smokey. The flavor is well balanced malt and hops but the first thing that roars out is the rich smokiness. Can you say chi-poht-lay? Reminds me of a fine smoked porter that I recently sampled-still trying to find those tasting notes. I feel cool and refreshed as the carbonation of this brew rolls over my tongue and drenches my taste buds. I never thought a dark beer could feel so cool. I think I am starting to hear the riff at the begining of that AC/DC tune.... Thunder!!!

htomren (12) - Long Beach, California, USA - JUN 12, 2002
Wow, I was very surprised by this beer. It was dark, rich, and bursting with flavor, roasty and chocolatey.

kdc (1) - New Mexico, USA - AUG 3, 2006 does not count
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2006 this week i visited wisconsin and sampled the sprecher black bavarian and the calumet eclipse. as subjective as the beer world is, i must say that rio salado’s schwarz is my favorite. the sprecher product has a hop component that is attractive and r.s.’s opts to minimize the hop. r.s.’s schwarz is focused on a rich malt. the last half barrel keg ot tim’s schwarz is on tap at my house in casa grande. update, 24 september, 2006 the last of the schwarz is gone. the final keg passed away in the company of three old friends, requiescat in pace.