overall
RATINGS: 181   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.85/5   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
American Brown Ale
A traditional English-style brown ale, but with more body. Its deep brown color comes from a combination of Chocolate and Black malts. Tall, dark and smooth – the perfect cure for the domestic beer blahs.

tnkw01 (1857) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 21, 2012
Bottle. Good brown ale. Nice head, light brown color. Aroma was of slighty burned toast. Flavor was of dark hops with a really nice hop balanced after taste.

beerme31 (707) - Holly Springs, North Carolina, USA - DEC 23, 2011
Bottle. The bottle has been sitting in my frig undisturbed for a couple weeks. When I got to open the bottle foam slowly starting climbing out of the bottle before I grabbed a glass. Started pouring and it was all foam. Ten minutes later when it could all be poured it was clear brown with thick tan head. Aroma is metallic, no caramel or chocolate like I expected. Flavor is mild sweet. Medium body, thin texture, high carbonation, mild bitter, fizzy, and mild roasty finish. At this point I think I got a bad beer as this was terrible. At some point will re-rate.

bruwery (35) - Lowell, Michigan, USA - NOV 15, 2011
Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Nothing really special about this beer for me. I found it quite drinkable, but kind of blah. I’ve had worse browns, but I’ve certainly had many that are better. I didn’t get much nuttiness out of it - which is what I really like in a brown, but I did get some characteristic peat. I would try their other offerings, and wouldn’t turn away one of these handed to me, but I wouldn’t seek it out, either.

NachlamSie (3600) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 12, 2011
Bottle from Food City. Pours brown, right in the middle of the spectrum for the style. The aroma is nutty with some chocolate hints and metallic notes. Flavor is very nutty again. This is a predominantly malty beer with no hoppiness to speak of. The finish has that weird packing-tape/metallic thing that their pale ale also has. It has potential. Rough around the edges with some strange flavors.

LinusStick (3532) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 9, 2011
Brought this back from my first trip to Sterling, VA. Aroma was pretty weak. Caramel is detectable but faint. Pour was a flat medium brown with no rising bubbles and no head...uh oh. I know what this means. Taste was actually pretty good. Nice roasted malt flavor. Caramel and nuts come out as it warms. Nice and malty.Then the big flaw. No carbonation. Not even a hint. Such a shame, because with some carbonation this would be a nice representation of an overlooked style.

wlajwl (7213) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - OCT 22, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2012 Dark grains and malty in aroma. The flavor is hops up front, odd for what’s supposed to be a traditional English Brown, otherwise a good maltiness to it, fruit overtones and a slightly thin body. Not bad, more of an American Brown Ale really.

LilBeerDoctor (4236) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 20, 2011
Bottle. Pours a dark brown with a thick light tan head. Aroma of sweet caramel malt, light fruits, apple skins, pears. Flavor of sweet malt, sweet fruits again, a hint of burnt/roasted malt and some char in the finish. Not bad, actually, a little sweet, but drinkable. 7/4/7/3/13 [3.4/5]

Niko100 (3012) - Chicago, New York, USA - OCT 5, 2011
Dark brown color; Medium slightly creamy body; Aroma of toasted malt, nuts, caramel, & some fruit; Flavor of roasted malt, caramel, hops, nuts, and some chocolate; Decent overall.

Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 23, 2011
Tasty beer. Pours a dark brown with little to no head. Caramel and chocolate malts predominate. Decent beer but nothing to write home about.

Lubiere (14262) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 8, 2011
A dark reddish copper ale with a thin moka head. In aroma, a nutty and beany malt, mash tun, a bit cloying. In mouth, a run of the mill brown ale with nutty malt, oily, so-so. On tap at the Mellow Mushroom, Greensboro, August 14, 2011.