overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4810   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

oreogobbler (228) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 15, 2008
Pours a cloudy dark brown. Thin to almost not head. Smell of strawberries, alcohol, and dark berries. The flavor is so thick and spicy with a wonderful wood like finish. The palate is somewhat thick and smooth. I cannot taste the amount of alcohol that the label say. One extra point for that!

hiphop (84) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 15, 2008
I’ve known for a long time this is truly the best beer I have ever had, even before I was peer-pressured by the ratebeer.com clan. Truly a remarkable trappist offering. I’ve had 4 in my time, and I will surely update this rating next time I have one, because it is so deep that it requires immediate attention. I recall tons of dark fruits, solid malt backbone, and a prickling tongue that makes any beer enthusiast enthralled.

502Che (999) - @, CAMBODIA - JUN 15, 2008
11.2 oz. bottle into sniffer. Dark nut brown with a pretty substantial head that holds impressively long. Plum, alcohol, honey, raisins, cherries, sugary candy, cordial, and some doughy malt on the nose - very appealing aroma. Crazy complex flavor - black licorice, vanilla, honey, sugar plums, alcohol, and more. Smooth on the palate with soft carbonation - medium bodied. I’m not a quad guy really. I always have appreciated the complexity but haven;t really (absolutely) loved the taste, but this this is crazy good. I actually like this better than I thought I would.

kiefdog (1827) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUN 15, 2008
UPDATED: APR 12, 2009 33cl bottle from Knightly Spirits (Orlando, FL). Pours a dark brown to black color with one-plus finger tan head that slowly recedes but provides ample lacing on the glass. Reasonable head retention. Aroma: malt and faint sweetness with notes of molasses, sugar plum, and alcohol. Flavor is of malt, oak, candy sugar and earthy notes. Alcohol is well-hidden in this well-balanced , full-bodied beer.

ccoalier (13) - USA - JUN 15, 2008
To date I give the ’10’ my highest rating. (Lets hope that changes). First... I love the dark caramel color and the solid thick head. Second... The beer’s flavor masks the alcohol. This also has a downside because I can drink six without knowing it which leads to the usual Inebriated state. Third... The love the bottle shape for some reason. It strangely reminds me of the bottle of a soda I used to drink when I was a kid.

jeffwilliams11 (310) - hooterville, Michigan, USA - JUN 13, 2008
sad to be this bummed by this beer. pours mild red with voilent white head. malty, slightly spicy, a little too alcoholic... not what i was looking forward to.

Heathen (1500) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUN 13, 2008
THOUGHTS: It wasn’t as good as I was expecting at first, from all I’ve heard about this one. But it was still a really nice beer. And it got better as it warmed.. Hid alcohol incredibly well. TECHNICAL: Bottle. Poured a medium to dark brown with tiny to large body particles of a thin density and had an average to large, off-white head the mostly lasted. The flavor was nice but a little weaker than I was expecting. There was moderate to heavy malt, light yeast, Dark Fruit Candy sugar, a little spice and some cola. The initial flavor was moderately sweet and lightly acidic; while the finish was moderately sweet and lightly bitter with a short duration. The flavors were dark fruit, candy sugar, a little spice and some cola or vanilla. The medium to full body had fizzy carbonation and a light astringent and light alcoholic finish if it had a finish at all. It sort of just goes down.

nefarious (220) - Waterford, Michigan, USA - JUN 13, 2008
Beautiful murky pour with a fluffy head and moderate carbination. Wonderful aroma! Fresh fruits and I swear I smell bubble gum!Very bitter and strong allcohol. Alot stronger than I would have thought. Good mouth feel, I am definately not gonna rush through this beerI’m a little dissapointed. But I will definately try again.

BrewCzar (108) - St Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 12, 2008
11.5oz bottle. Pours a dark caramel color. Fiizzy light colored head. Malty aromas combined with fruity tones of gapes, plums with slight hint of apple. A perfect balance that combines a sweet start on the front of the tongue and is followed by a slight sour taste that finishes dry and bitter.

12many (277) - Alaska, USA - JUN 12, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2008 Dark brown pour with a generous head. Smooth flavor of mixed dark fruits making the 11.3% very subtle. Great beer. I have revisited this since and this has become my favorite Abt/Quadrupel.