overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 5258   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

deft (84) - SWEDEN - MAR 22, 2008
UPDATED: APR 9, 2008 Shady dark brown, pours plenty of cream coloured head. Alcohol, yeast, cider (fruity) aroma. Thick mouthfeel, tastes of berries and red apples. A long sweet aftertaste that draws to alcohol and bitterness in finish.
7-4-8-4-16=3.9

Re-rate blind at Dugges 080329. Very hazy red/brown, dark tan head. Bread, caramel in aroma, hint of fruit. Thick, high on alcohol in taste, caramel.
8-4-7-4-15=3.8

bonfunck (149) - Waasmunster, BELGIUM - MAR 22, 2008
This dark brown sweet beer tasted a bit like chocolate, with a powerful aftertast. it had full body, and the tast is overall

billtheman (86) - milford, Delaware, USA - MAR 21, 2008
UPDATED: APR 7, 2008 INot so long ago I gave this beer a rating from some I had some years ago in Illinois. Just this week I found some in Delaware, and I hyave to rerate this even higher. No small wonder its the highest rated beer available in Delaware. Thius is excellent The aroma when you take a sniff is fantastic, then the appearance mnakes you anxious to taste, then your flavor buds and palate are in for a treat. Surely Belgium folks stand proud of this brew. My compliments to the brew miesters, this is surely a work of art!!

hoppopotamus (260) - Santa Cruz, California, USA - MAR 21, 2008
A very dark brown beer with an off-white head that leaves lace. Aroma is spicy with dried fruit (plum, raisin) and fig. The flavor has more of the above fruits, a hint of alcohol, and a syrupy roasted malt. A delicious beer, no doubt, but not my particular brand of whiskey. I dare say itís a tad overrated, in my opinion.

gueuzeisgod (113) - Graham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 20, 2008
330 ml.bottle, poured at room temperature (68F), maybe a tad too warm, smells like chocolate covered raisins and laffy taffy. Some sweet , complex, dark candy sugar smell- really makes me want to drink it. A smooth hop bitterness on the tongue with flavors of chocolatey, caramel malt. Alcohol vapors waft through my nostrils. A real brewing masterpiece, must have taken many years to perfect the recipe. I can see how monks could live entirely on this . If it werenít $7 a bottle, I just might too. I like it a bit more than the StBernardus, has a little less cloying sweetness that makes it more drinkable.

LeMunche (66) - Orland Park, Illinois, USA - MAR 20, 2008
Right up there with St. Bernardus 12 as my two favorite belgian brews. Canít wait to try a westy

Juancho (239) - Georgia, USA - MAR 20, 2008
Truly amazing. Iím a hop-head and this is the absolute opposite of my regular favorites, however, Wow! Pours dark and thick, aromas change but settle on sweets reminiscent of soy or mollases. I taste raisins, fruits, coffee, malt (of course) just deftly balanced, not coying or over the top. Wonderful brew.

blackmurder (236) - Whitaker, Oregon, USA - MAR 19, 2008
Poured a hazy glowing orange and amber with a slight vanilla head. What a remarkable pour. Very tasty and malt driven.

darkguardian (733) - Florida, USA - MAR 16, 2008
12 oz bottle from Knightly Spirits. Poured into a Chimay glass. I poured this and let it sit about 10 minutes before taking my first sip. When I first opened the bottle and sniffed I thought it was a bad bottle as there was a smell similar to a Saison. That cheese like aroma. As it warmed that dissipated to a complex smell of fruits with a light sourness and smooth chocolate and raisins. Smells incredible. Very deep. Pours a dark brown with a nice sized head that dissipates quickly. For as strong as this beer is the alcohol is well hidden, it comes on a bit in the finish but not overly so. The dominating flavors as a dark chocolate fruit, some sour cherries, raisins and suprisingly and almost hop bite at the end that is over almost before it begins. I could spend months getting flavors from this brew. Perfectly balances, incredibly crafted. Well worth the money. One of the best.

Bontus (800) - Flanders, BELGIUM - MAR 16, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2013 Bottle 33cl. Left it out of the fridge for about 15 minutes before pouring into trappist glass. Pours dark brown with a creamy head as a pint of Guinness. Nose is sweet & creamy. Aromaís of creamy coffee & plums. Not too complex, very enjoyable and softly carbonated. Would drink this every day for the rest of my life... Aftertaste is slightly bitter and slightly alcohol. Though reminding me more of St.Bernardus than of Westvleteren 12, this is a divine brew.