overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 5165   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mattcoats (47) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - APR 3, 2007
Sinfully delicious! A rich creamy head and bountiful berries make this beer a great drinker! Unfortunately, it considerably lacked the aroma that should accompany such a delicious brew.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
drpimento (3309) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - APR 3, 2007
Shazam! dang me, get a rope and hang me. Pours with a lovely textured big foamy frothy head and lots of lace. aroma is lots of dark and red fruits; ripe and juicy. Sweet with some hop/yeast bitterness to offset. Almost opaque hazy brown color. Lingering sweet fruity apple, pear, fig, plum flavors in the finish. Had this at the Bodega Brew Pub downtown La Crosse, Wisconsin UsA

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Soonah (1120) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - APR 2, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2008 Pour was a super dark brown with hints of ruby and copper struggling to stream through. Head was nearly two fingers tall and off-white. More active carbonation than I expected. Next time I drink one of these Im going to let it really open up for a while before diving in. The aroma I got initially was a chocolate covered cranberry. As it opened up the chocolate maintained but the tart berry settled into a softer raisin like aroma. The flavor was chocolate, cedar and mild floral. The palate was heavy on carbonation and not as velvety as I had hoped. As it opened up the finish became ridiculously succinct. Almost chianti-like in its dryness. I think I got a really young bottle of this stuff. Id like to try one thats a few years older and see if I dont change my tune.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Valley678 (6) - USA - APR 2, 2007 does not count
Great tasting beer that pours dark brown with a light colored head. Very strong beer, but smooth with a fruity undertone to it. Really quite complex taste, but in a very good way, creamy texture. Awesome beer, highly recomended

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Fin (10044) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - APR 2, 2007
Bottle from Tuckers Maltings. Poured very dark brown with a medium head. The nose was incredible, very fruity and nutty their was also a real waft from the alcohol in this powerful and strong beer. The taste was really something amazingly complex but I sat there and at one point it was though I had dipped my hand into a really expensive box of dark chocolate liquor chocolates and had just let it melt on my tongue, and waited as the dark cocoa taste of the chocolate receded as the alcohol and liquor were released, fantastic. Dark fruits and a wonderful creaminess also present themselves, this is a beer Ive had many times before but never rated, sit down, take your time and have it melt on your tongue superb!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GriffinAvenue (396) - Winchester, Massachusetts, USA - APR 1, 2007
Bottle. Reddish, ice tea in color. Robust 1" foam. Dates, raisin, grape hints. Smooth, even, subtle notes of fruit and sugar. Alcohol report on roof of the mouth warming, numbing. Obviously a very high quality beer - oddly disappointed I didnt have a more emotive reaction.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
afterglow (1047) - Florida, USA - MAR 31, 2007
11.2oz bottle. Pours a very dark opaque brown with a large long lasting light tan head that leaves good lacing. Wonderfull aroma of fresh malt, raisins, plums, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is the same and more full flavored than the 6 and 8. The alcohol isnt as well balanced as the 8 but the aroma and flavor make this an amazing beer. Full bodied but finishes dry with a small amount of carbonic bite. I only wish I could afford to drink this every day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
BustedFlat (554) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - MAR 31, 2007
Poured from a 330ml bottle into a St. Bernardus glass, very dark brown with a small beige head. The aroma was malt and dark fruit. Taste of sweet malt with notes of dark fruit, especially prune. Little carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden for such a high ABV. Nice beer, but I still think it lags behind the St. Bernadus 12. Of course I am drinking it out of a St. Bernardus glass, so does thas mean Im biased?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Fukito (1031) - Santiago, CHILE - MAR 30, 2007
Bottle, March 07 - Thanks Omhper!! Great raisiny, plums, oranges, cake, sugarish aroma. Taste is deep, rich, liquorice, fruity, spicy with alcohol exceptionally well hidden and a touch of nutmeg. Deep, almost black, brownish color, opaque, some red hues and a very nice beige, creamy, lasting head. Mouthfeel is medium to thick, really quaffable for its size, surprising dry finnish. A piece of art.

CheersMate (1342) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - MAR 30, 2007
The aroma of this beer is ridiculous! I am very pleased with the smell. Smells frutier than the 8 version. Very pleased to say that I am already impressed. The color is a very deep brown, with little head, but seems very good. The alcohol sits very nice on the tongue, and the beer finishes smoothly. The beer is sweet, and fruity, as to what specifically the fruits are I am confused, but it doesnt matter. This beer is very complete. I am going to say that the fruit is a dark fruit: raisins, pruins, something that would make a thick juice. A nice beer, and probably one of my favorites. I hate to rate this higher than my Imperial Stouts, but until I try one better I will not say differently.