overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4827   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

Beershine (5253) - VANCOUVER, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 4, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2010 Sublime concoction to sample periodically to keep my feet on the ground. Potent yet mellow with similar flavor profiles of the other Rocheforts, dark fruit, iodine, rum, chocolate, super complex with more alcohol. Alcohol is detectable, but it�s sooo smooth, has the biggest burliest body of the Rocheforts and sips slowest.

jlf278 (288) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - SEP 4, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2007 12 oz. bottle. Poured with lots of tan head that gave the beer a cola-like appearance. The aroma was bountfiul even in my poorly suited wine glass (was at a byob). Brown sugar, prunes, raisins, chocoalte and licorice, but not too sweet. Taste was dominated by vinous and fusel alcohol. Not much bitternerss, didn’t need any for balance. Overall, just too fizzy and cola-like in appearance and mouthfeel. Alcohol interferes with taste, being too fusel. Enjoyable, but not a favorite of mine.

Pastor (799) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - SEP 2, 2007
bottle poured dark murky brown in Chalice tan head reduced to small amount of lace aroma fruit, malt alcohol great mouth feel well balanced flavors the alcohol aroma is present but it dosen’t show up in the taste will have to try this one again

kp (10880) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 02/16/2001
Mode: Bottle
Source: www.belgianshop.com

dark brown, big fine tan head, rich malt aroma with a hint of sourness, rich complex malt flavor, well balanced, no bitterness, yet no sweetness either, velvety smooth, lots of chocolate, just the slightest hint of alcohol
-------- /> Date: 10/30/2003

alcohol is much more aparent
-------- /> Date: 08/02/2004

incredable rich malt flavor with lots of complex dark ripe fruit character, figs, dates, no alcohol, no bitterness, upgrade iii to iiii
-------- /> Date: 11/12/2004
Words: 3yr old

low carbonation, a bit thin and fumey, subdued, does not age well,

Aroma: 5/10; Appearance: 8/10; Flavor: 8/10; Palate: 5/10; Overall: 17/20
Rating: 3.7/5.0
Score: ***4
-------- /> The score was calculated based upon the notes and an old scoring system.

AR (1002) - Georgia, USA - AUG 30, 2007
Smooth. Very smooth. This was the first thing that hit me about this beer. The Rochefort Trappistes 10 was full-bodied and succulant. A grape, wine-type flavoring, similar to that of a fine wine. Not being much of a wine connoisseur, I liked this better than any wine I have every had. Made me desirous of a choice steak to go with the beer. This shows the shortcomings of the rating system. It is one of the best, if not the best, beer I have ever had. However the aroma score does not reflect that standing.

BREWMUSKCLES (2759) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 29, 2007
mollassas and dates. creamy with a hit of vanilla cream and raisins. just a touch of alcohol present. smells classic with a noble fruit aroma. reminds me of a nice bowl of rice pudding with the cherry and whip cream. the beer is dark which is of little concern to me. just a touch of brandy there. rolled nice with energy and a dark beige head into the glass. good solid consistancy. beautiful perfume left in the mug required a 1 point add on - it was floral, with a touch of Cuban cigar .

Acknud (1082) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - AUG 28, 2007
Bottle. Poured dark amber with thick head that left thick lacing. Aroma of dark fruits. Taste of plums and malt with alcohol warmth. A little on the sweet side.

jackson220 (136) - new lenox, Illinois, USA - AUG 26, 2007
bottle. pours murky mahogany with an ample tan head which lasted and left a respectable amounts of lacing. The aroma is subtle and vinous with notes of plums, licorice, alcohol, cocoa and indiscernible spices. The feat in this beer’s aroma is that while it is isn’t over-the-top, it is still very sophisticated. Flavor is well-balanced with noticable alcohol, caramel, dark fruits, pepper, and dark chocolate. Full-bodied, moderately-carbonated and warming. Surly one of the finest beers in the World.

Dragonfly1 (500) - Colorado, USA - AUG 24, 2007
#50 for me. Hop Leaf, Chicago. This beer made my day, my night, my week. I had no pre-conceived notions of what this would / should taste like. I just decided to fork over the $12 for the bottle and see what it was about. Couldn’t have been better. When it first hit my lips I knew this was something special- all the previous 1500 reviewers have said it, but the fig, vanilla, raisin, and heavy alcohol taste worked perfectly together. A little sweet candi sugar too. In a word- wonderful...

Floback (550) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - AUG 24, 2007
Bottle from Total Wine. Pours a white-rimmed dark brown with no head. Very oily, almost non-existent lacing. The aroma was the beginning of my disappointment and puzzlement of this beer. My nose received overly sweet notes of bubblegum, flowers, and cotton candy. The alcohol was very overpowering in the taste with a strong astringent bite in the finish along with more bubblegum and wood flavors. The carbonation was surprising due to the lack of head received upon the pour. This was ultra-fizzy and off-balanced along the full body. Again, I was puzzled due to the high acclaim this beer gets. My bottle could’ve been old, but I’m sure this is supposed to be aged. It could also have been too warm as I did not let it sit in my fridge very long, but I know the colder a beer is, the less flavor your tongue receives. I will try it again in the future to see what all the fuss is about.