overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 5271   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

bleeng (1682) - Seattle still not near Beersel., Washington, USA - MAY 11, 2007
Bottle at Palace in Poperinge. Served in old Rochefort glass-sweet. Opaque,dark color. Thick brown, sweet, chocolate, coffee, aromas from the earth abound. Goes down way too easy for such a strong beer. In the league with Westvleteren 12. Wonderful.

horto008 (186) - Alabama, USA - MAY 9, 2007
I’m sipping a glass as I’m writing this review -- really. It took a trip to England for me to find this brew courtesy of the state of Alabama being in the dark ages. As for the beer, I really enjoy the sweetness of it. Looking at the alcohol content, I expected it to be a little bitter, but it didn’t fail to surprise me. In the glass it has a moderate head (not too thick) and a dark nearly opaque color. It wasn’t too thick and had an exceptional taste, feel, and complexity. I would put it in the top 3 beers I’ve ever consumed. If only I could have gotten a case back to the states.

ucusty (2691) - raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAY 8, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 20, 2007 It had a bourban like scent and it had a creamy, frothy head. Very Smotth tasting with hints of bread, dates, figs,corriander and fruit. Well balanced and compleax

KimJohansen (10492) - Frederiksberg C, DENMARK - MAY 8, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2012 11/13/2012
Pours brown with fairly thick Café au lait kind of head that slowly left beautiful laces and circles revealing a beer still alive. Very vinous aroma and among many lovely scents - figs, dates, tobacco, cake, overripe plums, caramel and chocolate were most dominant. But what stroke me most was that lovely spice I’ve never been able to fully pinpoint. I could smell this for hours! The flavor is rich and though 11,3% it’s never near boozy. Extremely well balanced with a high complexity. Sweet but no overly so. The esters gives it plenty of dark overripe fruit like plums, dates and figs and the roasted malt together with the brown sugar left me with thoughts of nuts, caramel and chocolate cake. I’m happy to report: Though it’s been more than 10.000 beers since I last did this one properly. It’s still one of the all time greats. It’s a masterpiece. It warmed up my cheeks and put a big smile on my face. What a great beer. Boy I have missed it without being aware of it!!!

Original 5/8/2007
Nothing above this. Simply the best ever made...

Dark brown with floaties and tiny off white head leaving fatastic laces. Aroma has spices, overripe fruits, plums, dates, prunes and figs. Taste is rich with spices, raisins, plums and dates. Smooth and very complex with fantastic depth and the alcohol is so well hidden.
10, 5, 10, 5, 20 = 5,0

17thfloor (2443) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 8, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2011 The ratings go up to 10 for a reason... some beers can achieve that. Aroma of sweet malt/dust/(something nutty) almond maybe? But of the course what makes this beer is the endless complex flavors... the alcohol is one that pops out every few sips... but I think that also helps facilitate the many flavors which I cant even begin to describe. [not sure what my initial rating was... I think it was higher than 4.4] . . . . . . . . . [8.18.08 - 9.4.9.4.18, my first night in my latest apt I believe] . . . . . . . . . . . . [Bottle from 5.27.09 rated 4.1.10] Very much like the year and half year old 8, loads of tobacco, perhaps still a tad sweeter, great plum aroma, with nice alcohol and yeast. Flavor is full of tobacco, dark fruits, faint plums, brown sugar. Fizzy medium bodied. Like the 8 I suppose I prefer this more fresh, I still have a 2 year old bottle that’ll I’ll keep til the 5 year mark just to check. 9.4.8.4.17 . . . . . . . . . [bottle from 10.21.09 rated 1.31.11... super grape soda, fluffy carbonation, no tobacco yet, nutty. 8.4.8.4.16]

Cryotek (206) - Pawtucket, Rhode Island, USA - MAY 7, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2008 One of the highest rated beers in the world and surprisingly easy to find. Even more surprising is that it lives up to the hype! Poors darker than the other 2, i would say a dark chocalate color with a hint of raisin purple. Tastes enjoyablly intense. Not over intense, but more intense than the other Trappistes. After the initial shock of taste/flavor/aroma, it goes down easy after a few tastes and sipes. Has the almost feel of a wine, with hints of it tasting that way also. Tastes like they put a lot into this one, very rich. Obviously a site favorite for the combination of ABV strength, but ability to hide the alcohol. My new favorites (6,8,&10) and would recommend to any beer drinker.

mucom (35) - NETHERLANDS - MAY 7, 2007
Pours a dark brown coloured beer with a creamy off-white head which leaves a lacing on the glass. The aroma is very fruity, with some scent of plums, raisins, grapes, and other dark fruits. Taste has a fruity, sweet character mixed with spices. Superbly well balanced and smooth long aftrertaste.

Willin8 (55) - Massapequa, New York, USA - MAY 4, 2007
Gorgeous deep purple appearance with a large bubbly head. Nose of plums and grapes. Very bold flavoring of slight plum, slight raisin, slight grape - definitly can taste courant in there. Vast complexity. Alcohol is very well hidden. I’m actually quite impressed. Mouthfeel is dry but still smooth and a bit bubbly. Plum more predominant in the finish.

nightrider (754) - encinitas, California, USA - MAY 3, 2007
Deep dark color with thin white head. Deep caramel aroma. Flavors of dried fruits of raisin and dates. Smooth complex with good length without strong alcohol overtones. Superb beer.

biggcb (464) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 30, 2007
Bottle. Pours a deep, dark brown with a modereately sized beige head. Plums, currants, malt and alcohol possess the delicious aroma. Flavor is malts, darker fruits, yeast, honey, alcohol and some vinous qualities. This is a damm fine brew. So wonderfully balanced.