overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 5268   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

troyc (2869) - Illinois, USA - APR 4, 2007
(Bottle) Pours a dark brown color with a nice amount of beige head. Aroma is rather mild, but features sweet chocolate malts and a touch of alcohol. Flavor is similar, with currant really standing out to me. Nice and complex, with some fruity notes coming out more as the beer warmed up. Overall, a delicious beer that I enjoyed.

nearbeer (5417) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 3, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2007 330 ml bottle (L 13 09 11); saved for rating #100, and ohmygod did it ever live up to it! Hot fudge sauce-colored beer with a small-to-medium, creamy tan head that lasts better than any. Aroma is luscious spicy fruit with chocolate caramel, and all that is good on planet earth. Taste is the same fruity chocolate goodness, plus nice hop tingle and counterbalance. These Rocheforts are an experience unto themselves, and I don’t think they go well with food (except maybe dessert), but who needs anything else when you have one of these! If I was a Trappist monk, I would get kicked out of the cloister for shouting obscenities to high heaven in praise of this most holy of all liquids!

mattcoats (47) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - APR 3, 2007
Sinfully delicious! A rich creamy head and bountiful berries make this beer a great drinker! Unfortunately, it considerably lacked the aroma that should accompany such a delicious brew.

drpimento (3634) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - APR 3, 2007
Shazam! dang me, get a rope and hang me. Pours with a lovely textured big foamy frothy head and lots of lace. aroma is lots of dark and red fruits; ripe and juicy. Sweet with some hop/yeast bitterness to offset. Almost opaque hazy brown color. Lingering sweet fruity apple, pear, fig, plum flavors in the finish. Had this at the Bodega Brew Pub downtown La Crosse, Wisconsin UsA

Soonah (1120) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - APR 2, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2008 Pour was a super dark brown with hints of ruby and copper struggling to stream through. Head was nearly two fingers tall and off-white. More active carbonation than I expected. Next time I drink one of these I’m going to let it really open up for a while before diving in. The aroma I got initially was a chocolate covered cranberry. As it opened up the chocolate maintained but the tart berry settled into a softer raisin like aroma. The flavor was chocolate, cedar and mild floral. The palate was heavy on carbonation and not as velvety as I had hoped. As it opened up the finish became ridiculously succinct. Almost chianti-like in its dryness. I think I got a really young bottle of this stuff. I’d like to try one that’s a few years older and see if I don’t change my tune.

Valley678 (6) - USA - APR 2, 2007 does not count
Great tasting beer that pours dark brown with a light colored head. Very strong beer, but smooth with a fruity undertone to it. Really quite complex taste, but in a very good way, creamy texture. Awesome beer, highly recomended

Fin (10541) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - APR 2, 2007
Bottle from Tuckers Maltings. Poured very dark brown with a medium head. The nose was incredible, very fruity and nutty their was also a real waft from the alcohol in this powerful and strong beer. The taste was really something amazingly complex but I sat there and at one point it was though I had dipped my hand into a really expensive box of dark chocolate liquor chocolates and had just let it melt on my tongue, and waited as the dark cocoa taste of the chocolate receded as the alcohol and liquor were released, fantastic. Dark fruits and a wonderful creaminess also present themselves, this is a beer I’ve had many times before but never rated, sit down, take your time and have it melt on your tongue superb!

GriffinAvenue (396) - Winchester, Massachusetts, USA - APR 1, 2007
Bottle. Reddish, ice tea in color. Robust 1" foam. Dates, raisin, grape hints. Smooth, even, subtle notes of fruit and sugar. Alcohol report on roof of the mouth warming, numbing. Obviously a very high quality beer - oddly disappointed I didn’t have a more emotive reaction.

afterglow (1047) - Florida, USA - MAR 31, 2007
11.2oz bottle. Pours a very dark opaque brown with a large long lasting light tan head that leaves good lacing. Wonderfull aroma of fresh malt, raisins, plums, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is the same and more full flavored than the 6 and 8. The alcohol isn’t as well balanced as the 8 but the aroma and flavor make this an amazing beer. Full bodied but finishes dry with a small amount of carbonic bite. I only wish I could afford to drink this every day.

BustedFlat (554) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - MAR 31, 2007
Poured from a 330ml bottle into a St. Bernardus glass, very dark brown with a small beige head. The aroma was malt and dark fruit. Taste of sweet malt with notes of dark fruit, especially prune. Little carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden for such a high ABV. Nice beer, but I still think it lags behind the St. Bernadus 12. Of course I am drinking it out of a St. Bernardus glass, so does thas mean I’m biased?