overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4760   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

BeerBiker (1415) - Odense, DENMARK - JAN 4, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2008 [Sampled summer 2005 at the outside fireplace with René.] Surprisingly less alcoholic in the "aroflavor" than the R8 with outbursts like "Irish Coffee". Personally I prefer mentioning "IC" as "It’s like a R10". One of my favourites always ready for beergeeks.

milewide (2282) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JAN 4, 2007
Dark brown color. Lots of fruit smell and taste. Medium body. Huge head. This is a top quality brew, but a bit sweet and lacking in hops for my taste. Alcohol well hidden.

eeblah (106) - Arizona, USA - JAN 4, 2007
This is how a Beligum trappiste should be. Very strong and tasty. Has a very malty taste which also leads to its very high alcohol content. Color is a nice dark amber whcih lets you know that it could have lots of flavor. This beer is at top of the list in my book.

lagomswedish (213) - Umeå, SWEDEN - JAN 3, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2008 Bottle from Systembolaget. Pouring more praise on this heavenly beer is unnecessary. It truely is a complete beer in all senses with the best palate of any beer I have ever tasted. I’ve been lucky to try several bottles (one in particular that was five years old and would have warranted a perfect 5). The difference between that landmark beer moment and this particular bottle is that in my experience fresh Rochefort 10 has a more aggressive phenol quality to it that softens with age. The juicy figs and raisin notes also thicken with time, lending a heavier, more aggrandized character to this exeptional beer. I’ll re-rate a vintage bottle in a few years to see if I can reach a perfect 5 once again.

skniss (2) - Gering, Nebraska, USA - JAN 1, 2007 does not count
Very good, strong raisin and plum flavor one of the best beers I have had.

Foxbush (2071) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JAN 1, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 18, 2009 This was one of my beers of Christmas 2006. It is also my first Rochefort beer. The alcohol was a high 11.3% but it was well muted. There was little head and the dark color was opaque. The flavors of raisins and plums were present. I want to taste another to appreciate this beer. I received anothe r one Christmas 2008. The beer poured with much froth filling the glass. There were suspended particles in a dark amber beer. The high alcohol is very deceptive.

wholejustin (6) - USA - JAN 1, 2007 does not count
This beer to me was so smooth and rich. I love 8 but 10 is in a whole class by it’s self. Hard to get in my store.

stison42 (318) - Blacksburg, Virginia, USA - DEC 30, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2007 Dark brown. Very flavorful, bursting with flavor. Well spiced with what seemed like cinnamon. Very good. Christmas present.

BelgianBeerGal (4120) - Panama City, Florida, USA - DEC 30, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2009 33cL bottle. I only rate Westy 12 above this quad. I parallel this with Westy 8 however. My only critique is a slight alcohol burn but nothing major. Definitely a beer to seek out and a classic that delivers every time.

cbkschubert (2901) - BFE, Arizona, USA - DEC 29, 2006
30 cl bottle from AJ’s Fine Food (Tucson) - Pours a hazy brown color with a two finger thick light tan head. Nice thick lacing is left behind as the head slowly settles. Aroma is full of esters (plum, even apple) and light toasty malt. Flavor is also fruity and slightly vinous. Palate is smooth and only slightly bitter. Alcohol is well hidden. Medium body. A very nice beer.