overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4827   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

demitriustown (1192) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - JAN 21, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2007 Bottle: I finally get to review the widely available but delicious Rochefort 10. Wonderful fruity aroma, raisins, sugar, syrup, and some malt notes. Appearance is a deep dark almost black shad of red with a huge off-white head. Flavor is great, but I had one about a year ago, and it was layers upon layers of complex flavor. Ever second, a new taste would push itself to the forefront and overwhelm your taste buds for a second, then another delectable taste would push its way through. This bottle is different. It’s more straight forward and not that complex menagerie of flavors, but it still is a wonderful tasting beer. I was looking for the beer that I tasted so long ago, so I guess it disappointed me a little. Great Quad. Will re-rate this when I get another bottle that is as wonderful as the one from so long ago which deserved a 4.8- 5. This one will get the 4.4. Cheers!

drewbeerme (3921) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 21, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 29, 2008 11.2oz bottle, part of our blind "Better Know a Style: Abt/Quadrupel" tasting, thanks to holdenn for bringing this. pours small white long lasting head in a deep mahogony color. nose is something special, nutty, molasses, grape, raisin, plum, toffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, and a little alcohol. nose is just gushing out of the taster glass, and is clearly something special. tastes is pretty sweet with plum, raisins. alcohol in the finish but very soft and delicate. drinking this forces you to know your infront of something special. Rochefort is the unanimous winner of our Blind Quad 07 tasting (Westy12 came in 2nd) Rochefort’s nose and flavor clearly put Westy12 in the back seat of abt/quads.4.3.

2/23/08, 1997 vintage (aged 10-11 years). way past its prime, watery, and nothing.2.4.

6/29/08, 07/08 vintage. pours dark brown with creamy off white head. aroma is strong of dough, dark fruits, and spice. flavor is spicy, doughy, yeasty, some chocolate and dark fruit but very doughy and yeasty. fizzy carbonation and full mouth feel. this seems drier than i ever recall. less dark fruit and more spicy yeast notes. after letting this warm and drinking it more i can tell this beer hasn’t been treated well. this along with 3 other belgians tonight not fared poorly means i will not be buying beer that could have sat on the shelf from my local whole foods again 3.5.

MarkBarnes (419) - Waterville, New York, USA - JAN 20, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 1, 2008 Jan 20, 2007; 11.2 oz. bottle purchased for $5.69 at Marcy (NY) Discount Beverage. First-ever tasting, sampled in a Trappist glass. This brew is just perfectly balanced, with its hefty 11.3% ABV remarkably well-hidden. Murky, dark-brown pour with generous head and moderate lacing. Complex aroma and flavor of dark fruit, spiced rum, vague chocolate and too many other elements to identify. Creamy mouthfeel and peppery finish. Quite a bit of sediment left at the bottom of the glass. Lives up to the hype, as far as I’m concerned.

New tasting on June 1, 2008: This brew remains richly-deserving of its "100" rating & place (along with St. Bernardus Abt 12) at the top of my personal ratings list. It literally envelops you in sensory delights as you leisurely ease your way through a seemingly-tiny 11.2 oz. bottle. As close to a "perfect" brew as I’ve ever had. Can’t overstate the importance of consuming this at "cellar" temperature, though.

BigBen2120 (687) - Derry, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 19, 2007
33cl brown bottle. Dark brown body with murky ruby-red highlights and about a half an inch of off-white head. Smells fruity (ripe banana), nutty, and chocolatey. Tastes like nut, banana, and chocolate in equal parts. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden. I’d never have guessed that this one was over 11%abv. Medium in body. Really pleasing in flavor, mouthfeel, and aroma. One sip invites another, making this one one of the most drinkabile, and quite possibly the best Quadrupel I have ever had.

ekstedt (7013) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - JAN 19, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 31, 2008 Bottle (33 cl) from Systembolaget. Dark brown, cloudy, with thick head. Complex fruity aroma with dark berries, plums, and spicy yeast. Nice soft mouthfeel with perfect carbonation. Superb balance with a moderate sweetness and a dry finish. The alcohol shines through just a tiny bit when it is warmed up.

Moz (613) - Gothenburg, SWEDEN - JAN 19, 2007
Hazy dark brown colour, tan head. Big complex nose, dried fruits, honey, piggelin and yeast. A bit alcoholic flavour, but still enjoyable. Peppery big taste, long finish. I’ve put a few bottles away for "improvement"...

MissKicha (5) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 18, 2007 does not count
Dark color. Sweet nose - almost whiskey-wood-ish. The nose is reminescent of the cheese by the same name. A strong flavor with fruits, raisin, and black currant on the finish. Complex. Great with a carbonnade.

OleR (4801) - Oslo, NORWAY - JAN 14, 2007
Young bottle (bb 23.08.11). Pours murky dark brown with a lasting tan head. Lots of yeast in the aroma. Also dark fruits and sweet caramel. Powerful taste. Fat malty body. Dark chocolate, alcohol, oak, sweet licorice, raisins... balanced with a delicate and mild hopbitterness. Thick, smooth and oily mouthfeel. Marvellous.

Maria (10211) - Thisted, DENMARK - JAN 14, 2007
August 05. I had looked very much forward to tasting this highly praised beer. I wanted to share with someone that would cherish it. So it was Viktor, our friend, who helped us with our - no MY - beer cellar http://www.metzger.nu/discus/messages/34891/34891. It’s a 8 month old and very lively bottle, but the precious drops are captured in our glasses. The aroma spreads in the room, and we look silently at our glasses in awe. We sip the first moutfull - and we are both completely quiet. The first thought that comes to mind are some words from an old song by Kay Norman Andersen / Børge Müller, that goes like this: "I never felt heaven as close as now...". Words like sterling suddenly seems small. Both aroma and flavour are like a basket full of ripe, dark fruits. The flavour has myriads of notes and shades, and it’s difficult to keep track of them. But I do get a lot of notes of dark fruits, port wine, caramel and a hint of licorice. It’s the most fantastic beer I have tasted until this day, and I’m glad that I have more of this fantastic beer in my cellar - where I also keep some Westvleteren, yet to be tasted. It’s a beer that is very full-bodied, we enjoyed this one for an entire hour... After this, the very first time, I have tasted it several times. I still like it a lot, but if I were to critize anything, then it’s somewhat sweet. So depending on my mood (sometimes a sweeter beer is nice), I most of the time like the Westvletern 12 better.

Svejk (12) - Washington, USA - JAN 14, 2007
This is a great beer. On several occasions I’ve ordered this beer and offered it to friends who were mainly wine drinkers. In most cases, they have liked it and said that they could see themselves drinking beer if it tasted like this. Dark and complex, Rochefort 10 is a real treat.